Premed 101 Forums

UBC Electives in Surrey

I just sent in a rather late elective application to UBC earlier this week and they got back to me - amazingly - today. Not one of my 16 choices was available in the time slot I requested, but Infectious Disease at Surrey Memorial and Med Onc at the close by Fraser Valley Cancer Centre were.

Anyone have any experience with the hospital or either of these services? (or any other)

Well, I can't comment on the actual specialties or anything medically related...

But... Surrey Memorial as a hospital is the bottom of the barrel in the GVRD. I think the gov and UBC are sinking like 500mil into it over the next few years to bring it up to par.

Not sure if that plays a role in electives.

Good luck though.

Well, it should be interesting to go to a big community hospital regardless - elective was confirmed today so I think I'll go.

oh yeah, it will still be a lot of fun.

i just met with a psych nurse who works at surrey memorial. she said they are doing a ton of reno's right now, two new towers and ED will go up over the next couple of years.

hard to find parking at the moment though... so be prepared for that.

you'll still have a good time.

I'd wondered about that - probably won't be doing call (at least I expect not to be) and, in any case, I'll likely want to get away fairly quickly and spend time in some more interesting areas of town. What's the weather like in September?

Highs of about 20, lows of about 10. Starts to get rainy in September/October too, so enjoy whatever sunny days you get!

Archived