Premed 101 Forums

A Bachelors in Psychology

medtech

My friend from overseas wants to know what Canadians or Americans with a bachelors in psychology usually do and what are the job prospects like for these graduates. I'm asking because she's really interested in coming here and studying psychology and I did not major in it so I couldn't really say.

Thanks for any info :D

I imagine she could go for a Masters in Education in Guidance and Counselling and become a guidance counsellor in a high school or a psychmetrician going from school to school assessing and diagnosing students who appear to have academic or social problems.

A bachelors in psych can open quite a few doors, you just have to look in the right place.

A lot of jobs working with youth and the government are available to psych majors.

I work as a social worker and make good coin, solid benefits, vacation and if I were planning on stating long term a good pension plan.

If your friend wants to work with children and youth a lot of jobs open up with a b. Psych.

Also, from what I recall research at Ubc is top notch. The program was regarded as one of the best in north America when I graduated.

i got multiple job offers from various government jobs doing stuff related to what hking said (almost social work stuff), but my resume was stacked because i wanted to do clinical psych or med (avg starting pay 45-52 g i think, decent, especially since the government promotes from within (making 100 g in 5-7 yrs) and has great benefits

My sister got an undergrad in psychology before doing law, and I think I remember her saying that now you pretty much need a masters to do anything with it? Or a combined masters/phd?

i got multiple job offers from various government jobs doing stuff related to what hking said (almost social work stuff), but my resume was stacked because i wanted to do clinical psych or med (avg starting pay 45-52 g i think, decent, especially since the government promotes from within (making 100 g in 5-7 yrs) and has great benefits

Good to know. Maybe it was just what she was interested in, or is there maybe a variability by province?

Archived