Premed 101 Forums

Buy a new Textbook?

overgraduate

Hello all, next year we are expected to purchase a brand new edition (v.7) of Stewart's Calc book. I already have v.6 and i was wondering if i should actually shell out the money for the new shiny one. What do you guys think about this whole new version vs old version (already have) thing?

That's what I would do unless these questions were graded. Even if the questions were graded I'd just ask a friend if I could photocopy the questions. Calculus books are expensive, man.

Yep, this. Usually all they do is change the problems so they can come out with a new edition every few years and keep making money (and they say it cuts down on cheating because there aren't solutions on the internet for the new problems, but that probably only lasts about a day). Just get the problems from someone else if you need them.

That's what I would do unless these questions were graded. Even if the questions were graded I'd just ask a friend if I could photocopy the questions. Calculus books are expensive, man.

+1

I hate these textbook makers and their biannual "Revisions" which is just shuffling chapters around putting in some new pictures.

Wow... 7th ed? I guess that means NO chance of resell on the 5th ed I have at home. :rolleyes:

OP: DO NOT buy the new text if you don't have to. Unless there are assignments you need it for (and even then, profs usually have it on reserve somewhere...). Otherwise you'll be stuck with a calc book you opened twice and did 3 problems from. $60/question is an expensive textbook ;)

Whoops... guess my 2001 edition isn't worth much now uh? :P

If you ever need to do specific exercises, just photocopy the pages from the library or a friend. I did that this year with the physics class I had to refresh - I bought the previous edition used for peanuts, and just photocopied the problems for the assignments.

Archived