Premed 101 Forums

Usefulness of ipad

Hey there, I was debating getting an ipad 2 to read lecture notes or sci papers on but I'm kind of worried it will just end up not being used. I was wondering what other people do with their ipad and if they find having one is useful?

I recently bought an iPad2. At first, I had the same concern as you: that it wouldn't be useful, and that it would be a waste of money. I ended up using it way more than I thought. I read papers on it, medical textbooks, Kindle books, and watch Netflix.

I recommend it.

Personally, I don't see any reason to shell out for an ipad over a netbook; I use my netbook for everything ipad users use their pads for, I paid half as much, and I can do more on it in general.

However, I understand different folks have different requirements and preferences for usability; for example, I prefer keyboards to touchpads for typing. If you like touchscreen typing, you might like the ipad more. It also gets better battery life, although for school use I have never found that to be an issue (plugins are easy to find).

As someome who has an ipad i find it i valuable. Despite not being in school yet but taking distance ed to pick up a 12U physics here's how i use it:

I write out all my notes, scan them to pdf and email to myself so i can read on my ipad during downtime on my couch watching tv, before bed or when doing cardio at the gym

I also record myself reading my notes and put on my ipad so i can read and listen at the same time if i want to.

Those are just two invaluable ways i use it right now and will come up with several more once i get imto classes

geez i feel so behind! i haven't had any sort of computer (desktop or laptop) in about a year and a half. I had a power surge and my comp died despite the surge protector. i've been using school computers exclusively since then. if you guys only saw my cell phone! i swear that 8 years ago it worked well.

i suppose i'll get on the boat and tech myself up a bit once some of my bursaries come in.

geez i feel so behind! i haven't had any sort of computer (desktop or laptop) in about a year and a half. I had a power surge and my comp died despite the surge protector. i've been using school computers exclusively since then. if you guys only saw my cell phone! i swear that 8 years ago it worked well.

i suppose i'll get on the boat and tech myself up a bit once some of my bursaries come in.

lol!! I couldn't survive without my laptop.. must come (in part) from the 8 years I spent in comp science in school! But I've never used my laptop for note taking, and don't plan on doing so for med either. I can look at slides on it, but I much prefer paper notes.

lol!! I couldn't survive without my laptop.. must come (in part) from the 8 years I spent in comp science in school! But I've never used my laptop for note taking, and don't plan on doing so for med either. I can look at slides on it, but I much prefer paper notes.

Haha in Software Engineering everyone (or almost as a laptop in class). I'm one of the few who still takes note with a pen and let me tell you that it is way better to remember important piece of information.

Haha in Software Engineering everyone (or almost as a laptop in class). I'm one of the few who still takes note with a pen and let me tell you that it is way better to remember important piece of information.

Agreed! Not many people had laptop in my classes, but then again laptops weren't so "in" 6-10 years ago!

What's really popular now are IpodTouch and Androids...and omg people are annoying with these in class.

Annoying? Why? I got an Android a few weeks ago, but really don't see how I could be annoying anyone in class if there's no sound...

It was smartphone or ipad.. I chose smartphone (so wifi access) + laptop at home (and I can bring it with me if needed).

OP - it really depends on you. My sister has a 10-in laptop and an ipad. I think she took her ipad along with her in her last year of law, but I don't know how note taking compares to med school. I find writing it down by hand makes me remember more easily.

Annoying? Why? I got an Android a few weeks ago, but really don't see how I could be annoying anyone in class if there's no sound...

It was smartphone or ipad.. I chose smartphone (so wifi access) + laptop at home (and I can bring it with me if needed).

OP - it really depends on you. My sister has a 10-in laptop and an ipad. I think she took her ipad along with her in her last year of law, but I don't know how note taking compares to med school. I find writing it down by hand makes me remember more easily.

It is visually annoying when you are trying to follow a course and all your friends around you are either playing on their phone or trying to make you play on their phones :P.

It is visually annoying when you are trying to follow a course and all your friends around you are either playing on their phone or trying to make you play on their phones :P.

Hmm ah ok... If they try to make you play just tell them no. If it's because they're playing, then I really don't see how it affects you. Just focus on your task?

Hmm ah ok... If they try to make you play just tell them no. If it's because they're playing, then I really don't see how it affects you. Just focus on your task?

Haha yeah I do focus on my tasks. Its just that I occasionally wonder what it would be like being in a class where everybody listens and enjoy the subject (but this is kinda utopic :P)

Having an ipad is much convenient rather than a laptop. It's way easier to use the touch screen than typing on the keyboard of a laptop.

I might not have an ipad, but I can tell you I type on my laptop just fine! In fact I type faster on my laptop than I do on my parents' regular keyboard. My sister has an ipad, and when she's home she uses the add-on keyboard because she doesn't like typing on the touch screen for too long. It's always about personal preference.

I'm going into my second year of med and bought myself an ipad a few months ago.

My opinion is that it's a great tool. Here are some pros:

-long battery life compared to many laptops. It is around 8-10hours for me

-the screen (size/quality) is perfect for many applications and documents

-even the 16gb storage model is sufficient if you make use of online storage and synchronizing options such as Sugarsync, Dropbox, etc. I have 15+ gigs of free storage online. I have all the original notes and pdfs on my desktop computer...I use Sugarsync to upload them all online, and then from my ipad, I can view those files.

-it has many of the useful apps of an iphone. Right now I'm overseas and chatting to my friends using Whatsapp/Pingchat, etc, which sends messages directly to their phones over wifi (just like texting, but I can also send videos, pictures, etc). The convenience is much better than say, Facebooking.

-you can use your ipad to take notes in class also, including writing on pdfs, word docs...if you want to take a snapshop of a lecture slideshow and write on it, you can do that too.

-once you get used to the keyboard, you can type very, very fast.

-I really like the Mail program, which updates me when I have a new message.

With an ipad, I didn't have to buy a laptop or iphone. Instead, I just have a regular phone with a keyboard for texting, and data if I'm on-the-go.. Your ipad can have all the apps. One disadvantage I see so far is that people think you're playing on it when you're actually doing work..

I find that it's inefficient for me to use electronic methods to take notes. I keep on getting distracted with email or w/e. As long as I get lecture notes before hand, I always print them out and write with a pen. If it's a class where the lecturer will be taking without notes, I bring my laptop because I don't write that fast.

I don't foresee getting an ipad -- not a big fan of Apple, and I don't think it'll add to my productivity, and no flash! I have an ipod touch though, and still just mostly use it for internet

The next electronic equipment I get will probably be parts to build my dream desktop =D

I would hold off on buying the ipad 2 if you have a laptop right now. Rumour has it that the ipad 3 will come out as early as September or as late as Christmas.

Can you share sources of this? I was only hearing March 2012 and am/was (possibly) going to buy mine this week, haha.

As someome who has an ipad i find it i valuable. Despite not being in school yet but taking distance ed to pick up a 12U physics here's how i use it:

I write out all my notes, scan them to pdf and email to myself so i can read on my ipad during downtime on my couch watching tv, before bed or when doing cardio at the gym

I also record myself reading my notes and put on my ipad so i can read and listen at the same time if i want to.

Those are just two invaluable ways i use it right now and will come up with several more once i get imto classes

He asked about the "usefulness of an iPad with regards to day to day medical student life"

not high school life

Archived