Premed 101 Forums

Usefulness of ipad

I've seen a pediatrician use it...it's actually a little distracting. The first question he gets from the kids are "WOW IS THAT AN IPAD SO COOL" and all the kids want to play with it "WHAT KIND OF GAMES DO YOU HAVE THERE" when all he's really trying to desperately do is look something up or fill in a form...

About maybe 5 minutes he takes the time to explain what he's doing with the ipad, what it can do, no there are no games, yes it is the older ver, etc. etc. before he gets to his preliminary questions.

Maybe it'll be better suited in a general practice or internal. But as thehumanmacbook, I wholeheartedly support using one. Can't wait for ipad3 :D

I've seen a pediatrician use it...it's actually a little distracting. The first question he gets from the kids are "WOW IS THAT AN IPAD SO COOL" and all the kids want to play with it "WHAT KIND OF GAMES DO YOU HAVE THERE" when all he's really trying to desperately do is look something up or fill in a form...

About maybe 5 minutes he takes the time to explain what he's doing with the ipad, what it can do, no there are no games, yes it is the older ver, etc. etc. before he gets to his preliminary questions.

Maybe it'll be better suited in a general practice or internal. But as thehumanmacbook, I wholeheartedly support using one. Can't wait for ipad3 :D

They should just tell the kids that they're playing Angry Birds.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got the ipad2 a few days ago and I have to say I can't see this being a useful note-taking tool. I was told the best annotation app they have is GoodReader, which can only annotate pdfs. If your school hands out .ppt presentations, it would be very tedious to annotate using Keynote. It's great for reviewing your digital notes while commuting to school, but I would stick with a laptop or paper during lectures as I found writing free-hand with a stylus quite a bit slower than typing or writing with a pen.

I'm on windows 7. Personally, I like converting all of the .ppt files into 3-slide .pdf files and using a pdf editor like Foxit Phantom to type in notes and draw my arrows. I don't think Foxit Phantom is free but there is a wide selection of open-source pdf editors out there.

Archived