Premed 101 Forums

done in Sudbury!!!

Guest dogpaddler09

Guest dogpaddler09

Isn't it a great feeling to have that stress off your shoulders. I had a great day in Sudbury today. The station about the "roundtable" was the only one that I wasn't happy with. For some reason I couldn't make the connection with that interviewer and I seemed to ramble. Still, the odds are slim with so many obviously talented and well qualified applicants. I'm happy to walk away from the experience today knowing that I performed close to my potential.

I think that the people who have given birth to this new medical school should be proud of the first interviews. They were well organized and the first professional interviews I've had where I felt entirely at ease through the whole process. I think this allowed people to be themselves and to express their thoughts naturally. I've seen so many interviewers who give no feedback or are confrontational in a really affected way that makes for a very artificial atmosphere in the interview. Most of my interviewers were quite natural and relaxed which made the interview fun and informative. I felt like I learned as much about NOSM as they learned about me. I was impressed with what I saw; I hope they feel the same way.

Here's to deeper sleep and lower cortisol levels 'til at least the end of May. Good luck everyone.

Guest QueensMSc

Well said DogPaddler.

Having also finished-up this weekend, I concur with all of the sentiments you have expressed. It was quite an experience, and the interviewers certainly did make the questions that much more interesting.

Believe it or not, I also had the same experience with the 'Round-Table' question. I totally felt that I couldn't connect with my interviewer. That may have been inherent in the design of the question, or perhaps we were in the same circuit? Nonetheless, I was positively impressed by the experience, the students and the faculty. I would be pleased to be seeing a few familiar faces there in September.

QueensMSc

Guest mariposa

Does anybody know if the questions were the same in all the groups? I interviewed on Sunday afternoon and I'm not sure if I know what question you're talking about. There is one I am thinking of.... the interviewer was a guy for me, and he was actually pretty nice and smiled a lot and seemed to enjoy talking with me.

My most negative experience was a station with a woman dressed in pink. I found the woman I was speaking to did not make eye contact for the longest time (was looking slightly away and up towards the ceiling), and didn't give me a single prompt question, even when I stopped talking. That sort of made me look at the question again, think about something else I hadn't said and blather on rather uncomfortably some more until the 8 minutes was up (although at that point she started looking at me and nodding and smiling)!

Overall, I also thought the experience was very enjoyable!! Was at the last station before I knew it!

Guest NurseNathalie

Really had a good time at the interview.. for the most part, I enjoyed the interview questions, and found them appropriate for this school.

in regards to the case you mentioned: I don't think it was an issue with the interviewer, but with the question.. I kinda struggled with it as well, because I wasn't clear on what they were looking for or asking... my fault for not seeking clarification though ! rambled and rambled...

I really wish that they would have had some type of evaluation process (surprised that there wasn't! especially since this is their first year doing this!)... it would have been nice to give feedback about the MMI.. oh well.. maybe they will next year!

oh well. the waiting game now begins! Good luck everyone.. I was extremely impressed by the high quality of all the people I met, who interviewed (I was there Saturday morning)

Nathalie.

Guest waterbottle2

Hello everyone,

I wanted to know whether people actually talked for the full 8 minutes? I certainly didn't! They had to ask me questions to keep me talking most of the time. I even told one of my interviewers I didn't agree with what he had just said eventhough he wasn't really asking me his opinion. One interviewer actually told me that I had covered everything he wanted to talk about and well, he just made up a question for me, he actually told me this. This was at my second station and after that I think I just went on a role. Added alot of personal and academic experiences to all my questions. I think it went well but as we all know the competition is very stiff. I wish evrybody good luck! Hope I will be seeing some of you guys in September!

ttyl

Guest Chica777

I agree with everyone's sentiments...the process was excellent...and very well planned! I did not have any problems filling up the entire eight minutes but had a different difficulty than everyone else...

My last station was related to physical activity....no problem...but my interviewer talked way too much!! I was worried that I would not have a chance to get a word in edgewise...he was so nice...but I think he was better suited to a more traditional type interview....then the worst part was this....the buzzer rings....the interviewees erupt with happiness at having completed the interviews...my interviewer walks to the door...turns around and asks me..."Just out of curiosity...why do you want to be a doctor?".

I'm in "Yahoo...interview is over mode"...he hasn't evaluated me yet and he pops this question on me.... talk about sounding like a bumbling idiot...I gave him my answer...he looked disappointed and then I had to explain to him that I already work as a health care professional...all in 10 seconds...

Overall though things went well...I enjoyed the interviewers...met an excellent bunch of people that I would be happy to be able to call classmates!!

Best of luck to everyone and G it was great meeting you and your fiance over lunch.!!

Cheers,

C-A

Guest QueensMSc

C-A:

Your apt description is quite entertaining to me, as I know exactly which question you are talking about, and I had a very similar experience with one of my interviewers. Nothing like trying to answer a life-alterring question while shaking hands.

I'm sure you did wonderfully. Hey, you won me over and convinced me you'd make a great doctor over lunch.

It was great meeting you, and I wish you and your fiancée all of the best.

Hope to see you in September.

QueensMSc

Guest dogpaddler09

Nathalie:

After the session on Sunday morning, Dr. Hunt - the Dean from Thunder Bay - sat with us over lunch and asked us about our impressions of the interview process, if we had any suggestions, what changes we'd like to see, etc. During our interview session, as people were scurrying from room to room, he even ran to get water for a couple of interviewees. He expressed his excitement at finally getting to lay eyes on prospective students after operating in the theoretical world for three years, planning for our arrival. At the end he left us all with a good natured "see you in September". It was almost enough for me to wish for a spot in T.B.!

Guest avarrin2001

I agree. I met him on Sunday afternoon, he came by and introduced himself to some of us interviewers, and he was also the "helper" during our MMI session. He was such a nice man i was thinking "sheesh! I almost want to go to TB!" Its a good sign to have someone so great as the dean :)

im glad u guys enjoyed the interview.

Yeah, Dr. Hunt was a really nice guy (I liked how he was joking about Canada/US relations with him being an American himself!). He was also very informative and honest about the program and made me feel that I wanted to be a part of the development process as the charter class.

About the feedback, at the TB interviews, we were given (or able to ask for) a sheet that had some contact info of people that we could talk to about the entire interview process. After we registered, we'd get a phone interview a couple weeks later. That's what I heard when I was in TB.

But it seems all the administrators and faculty are excited about this northern medical school opportunity, and I really felt that enthusiasm myself.

Kupo

Guest NurseNathalie

Wonderful to hear! I think it IS such a marvelous opportunity for Northern Ontario...and its really nice to see they hired faculty and staff that share that enthousiasm!

I hope that there will be opportunities for both sites to share in some way (ie: perhaps meet everynow and then via videoconferencing or in person)

but hey.. we can always plan that when we get in, right??

the T.B. Dean seems like a wonderful person..

Guest Kidha

Hey NN! I agree! I wanted to know how much interaction there will be between the two groups. I hope that there are sometimes that we get to meet up somewhere for a conference or something. I think through video conf we will get a good chance.

Guest NurseNathalie

I'm sure there will be ample opportunities! but if for some strange reason there isn't... we will just HAVE to plan something! wohoo

nat

Archived