Premed 101 Forums

Need some input on Melbourne MD program

Hello,

Since the Melbourne MD program is new, and I guess there are not graduates yet (?), can someone with knowledge about the program talk a bit about the potential success rate of coming back to Canada? I know the matching rate for 2011 IMGs (1st round CARMS R-1 or something like that) is about 50%, but what do you think the matching rate is gonna be for the Melbourne MD program?

Thanks alot!

Edit: also, what's the difference between the Melbourne MD degree and the Canadian/US MD degree? Apparently the Melbourne MD degree is a graduate-level degree?

Hello,

Since the Melbourne MD program is new, and I guess there are not graduates yet (?), can someone with knowledge about the program talk a bit about the potential success rate of coming back to Canada? I know the matching rate for 2011 IMGs (1st round CARMS R-1 or something like that) is about 50%, but what do you think the matching rate is gonna be for the Melbourne MD program?

Thanks alot!

Edit: also, what's the difference between the Melbourne MD degree and the Canadian/US MD degree? Apparently the Melbourne MD degree is a graduate-level degree?

canadian md is also graduate level I think. I think they are trying to differentiate themselves from european and asian schools that offer mbbs which is not graduate lvl.

Canadian md is NOT graduate level, neither is the US one. It's called MD undergraduate program for a reason. MD is MBBS countries requires a heavy research component, I think. I don't know what the Melbourne MD means though. To me, it just seems like an undergrad MBBS degree that has more pre-reqs.

I read somewhere that the MD program at Melbourne was created in order to follow the Canadian and American medical schools that base the tradition on Scottish medical schools (providing MD degrees rather than MBBS).

It is a graduate-entry program meaning you need to have done undergraduate bachelor's work prior to entry. In this sense, Canadian and American MDs are also graduate-entry programs as they also require some undergraduate bachelor's work. The undergraduate MD program just means that it is the first level of education for medicine.

I know that Melbourne MD in Australia is a pretty good program (essentially equal to MBBS in Australia and MD programs in North America) and won't deter you from getting a residency in Canada or US except for the fact that you would be an IMG.

These are just some thoughts I gained from research that I did of overseas schools.

• 4 weeks later...

G’day guys,

Yes, the Melbourne MD can be quite a confusing concept, not to mention when you throw in the Australia/U.K., MBBS and North American MD titles.

Firstly, lets start on the MBBS and North American MD.

The Australian/U.K. MBBS is exactly the same as the North American MD. They are both considered as undergraduate or first professional medical degrees. In fact, way, way back, medical degrees in North America were also called MBBS, among a slew of different degree titles, such as B Medicinal Chemistry, Bachelor of Medicine, etc.

North American medical schools then decided to change the name and title of their degrees from a Bachelor of Medicine (MB), or MBBS to an MD. And although it is graduate entry in nature, it is a first professional medical degree as is the case among Australian/U.K. MBBS degrees. No difference whatsoever other than the title. The North American MD title is an honorary title, just like the DDS, DC, DVM, etc.

There is one slight difference between the North American MD and the Australian/U.K. MBBS and that is the point of entry. In Australia, just like the U.K., you can enter a medical degree directly from high school, making the degree 5-6 years in length. Australian and U.K. institutions also offer graduate entry medical degrees, just like in North America. So that is really the only difference.

Now, to the Melbourne MD.

In Australia, and to make this simple without going in to too much detail, we have three basic types of degrees, Bachelors, Masters and PhD. The Australian MBBS and North American MD are both equivalent to a Bachelors level medical degree.

The Melbourne MD is equivalent to a Masters level degree. Why? Well, the Australian government regulates all the degrees titles and the content of the program determines whether it ultimately becomes a Bachelors degree, Masters of PhD. Because Melbourne has increased the amount of research in its medical degree, through its Scholarly Selective in years 3 and 4, and increased clinical exposure in year 4 through its Transition to Practice module, the Australian government allowed it to have Masters level status. But as not to confuse students and call it a Master of Medicine, they aligned the degree title with North America calling it an MD. This is also seen in Law, where the Juris Doctor is offered, it is called a JD, but it is a Masters level program.

Yes, this has created just as much confusion, as you have a Masters level medical qualification, above an Australian MBBS or a North American MD, called an MD.

Regarding your question “…what do you think the matching rate is gonna be for the Melbourne MD program?” this is impossible to say at this stage. The reason for this is that the Melbourne MD only just commenced this year, 2011, meaning the first graduating class will be in December 2014, with an April 2015 CaRMS match. As well, the number of Canadians that commenced in the 2011 intake was quite small. Because of the pre-requisite requirements, few Canadian students meet these requirements for admission.

What I recommend is for you not to be fixated on the degree title. Medical clinical directors, like employers, do not hire degree titles. They hire people, and ultimately, your medical knowledge and your clinical experience will factor much more than a degree title.

Take a look at the program make up at Melbourne, and see whether the program structure suits you. For example, the Scholarly Selective in year 3 and first semester of Year 4, is a research module. The research that you undertake during this module should almost be publish ready material. If this is not you, then this program is not for you.

Also what is so difficult in concentrating on statistics, especially when it comes to CaRMS, is that the data is for the present match. Although your medical studies are 4 years in length. And as you know, a lot can happen in that time.

So choose the degree which suits you, and one in which you will excel.

Yes, it is difficult, I know, as we all want certainty in an uncertain world…but you should enroll in a program based on the structure that you like and not necessarily the statistics upon completion. As you would hate to be stuck in something that does not suit you.

Hope that this helps.

If you have any questions, just ask any time.

Cheers,

Matt

Archived