• Family Medicine
    • General Surgery
    • Internal Medicine
    • Pediatrics
    • Obstetrics & Gynecology
    • Psychiatry
    • Loved them all!
    • Hated them all!

What was your favorite core rotation in 3rd year? I understand there are some variations among schools, e.g. some may have 2 different family med rotations (rural and urban), some have ER in 3rd year, but I'm pretty sure FM - gen surg - obs-gyn - peds - psych - internal are more or less standard in first year of clerkship. Which one was your favorite? You can pick more than 1 if you are absolutely torn, but try to narrow it down to just one!

I haven't started internal yet - just at the tail end of psych now, but I'm pretty excited about starting ICU next week.

I've enjoyed all my rotations so far, but found that rural family and gen surg were probably the most satisfying and fun. I liked plastics too - a very well organized rotation - but they really dropped the ball when it came to procedures experience. Neurosurg had by far the best OR experience and some great clinics, but between the hours and the frequently negative or equivocal outcomes, I don't think it's for me. Hospitalist family med was okay, but I could never do it 5 days a week.

I will say that - while I learned a lot and gained a lot of great experience - my emerg rotation allowed me to firmly rule it out as a potential path. No follow up where I wanted to know what happened next, superficial investigations, and a constant stream of people coming in with often annoying minor problems. You never get time to focus on anything for any real length of time.

I haven't started internal yet - just at the tail end of psych now, but I'm pretty excited about starting ICU next week.

ICU can be quite a crazy place, lots to learn there for sure.

Yeah... internal is pretty brutal in terms of knowledge / responsibility, but I enjoyed it. Disliked surgery.

Archived