Premed 101 Forums

Patient Surveys

youngdad

Anybody have any experience developing patient surveys? I am making one right now as part of my summer project. I know the population and the type of questions I want to ask. I will likely have some multiple choice, yes/no, matrix, and maybe some short answer. I am wondering more about formatting and other practical issues (it will be a snail mail survey, NOT online). Does anybody have any experience with any software they used to develop any patients surveys? I have seen some free online stuff but they are mostly for online surveys. I want it to look professional, but it doesn't matter a whole lot about style.

Thanks in advance.

I'd check out your university and public libraries for books on survey and questionnaire design. I'm not sure what functions you would be looking for in software, but the books I've read contained a lot of advice on formatting and practicalities of mail-out surveys (so older books are just as good).

I'd check out your university and public libraries for books on survey and questionnaire design. I'm not sure what you would be looking for in software, but the books I've read contained a lot of advice on formatting and practicalities of mail-out surveys (so older books are just as good).

Nice. Will do, thanks.

• 1 month later...

People often think of “exit” and “voice” as the main ways patients can influence healthcare quality—that is, patients can leave providers they are not happy with or they can voice their opinions in an attempt to change care. A common strategy for eliciting patients’ “voices” is to conduct surveys."Despite numerous studies of patient satisfaction,they have not resulted in the quality improvement that many expected"

I've used SPSS for psych research questionaires, even if you don't use SPSS, the books on how to use SPSS have some good chapters on questionaire design, this book is called "Conducting a Survey: The SPSS workbook", if you skip to chapter 4 it talks all about how to construct the survey (about 30 pages which cover mostly everything for a simple survey)

the next chapter also tells you how to properly administer the survey without creating bias etc.

as for the aesthetic portion of the actual survey, open office or mac office are pretty decent, but then you'll have to score everything by hand... if you could give them a scantron along with the questionnaire (which sais for "maybe" answer c on scantron, etc.) it would be uber helpful by speeding up the scoring process

http://books.google.ca/books?id=XCd7sxMCKosC&lpg=PA69&ots=7Fg4f6sgYM&dq=spss%20survey%20design&pg=PA69#v=onepage&q=spss%20survey%20design&f=false

Anybody have any experience developing patient surveys? I am making one right now as part of my summer project. I know the population and the type of questions I want to ask. I will likely have some multiple choice, yes/no, matrix, and maybe some short answer. I am wondering more about formatting and other practical issues (it will be a snail mail survey, NOT online). Does anybody have any experience with any software they used to develop any patients surveys? I have seen some free online stuff but they are mostly for online surveys. I want it to look professional, but it doesn't matter a whole lot about style.

Thanks in advance.

Archived