Premed 101 Forums

Engineering to Med

Hey all,

Electrical engineer here interested in med. I'm a little late to the game (3rd year already). But, my GPA's good (3.95 cumulative), and I know I can rock the MCAT (planning to write this summer). Right now, I'm mostly concerned with the "soft" stuff. I've only had co-ops in the industry, and one unfruitful research stint last term (was going to work on making biomed sensors, but prof changed his mind and I ended up designing some garden-variety antennas). I'd like to know the likelihood of getting an interview if you have good numbers (assume above cut-off) but average/mediocre extra-curriculars for med. I'm asking this just so I can get a feel if I should bother applying this year (late as it is already) and do more med related stuff this fall so I have more things to say on the interview.

Again, appreciate whatever nuggets of wisdom you guys can throw my way.

Hi,

I can understand you situation. I am in chemical engineering so I know where you are coming from. First off, your grades are solid, there is no problem there (I would kill for a 3.95 cgpa). I am stuck with a cgpa in the 3.7's. As for ec's, as long as you have done something you enjoyed and can write and talk about them for several minutes on end, you should be fine.It really about quality of quantity IMO. Research regardless of it being productive or not is still research, all you need to do is word your application so as to promote your strengths and limit your weaknesses. Co-ops in the industry is not a bad thing at all, in fact I would say it adds to you as a person as you can give concrete examples of life experience in other lines of work and as such you can strengthen your argument as to why a career in medicine is right for you. Good luck!

Cheers

Archived