Premed 101 Forums

Electives

Guest RageoftheDragon

Guest RageoftheDragon

I'm looking at specializing in Neurology eventually, and I like what McGill has to offer. I've seen alot of work done on MS out of McGill, possibly more than even UofS (MS capital of earth in Saskatchewan here) produces. Does anyone have any info on doing an elective at McGill? Any good contacts, or red tape that can be dodged?

I'm thinking a bit ahead of time here, as I'm only about to start 1st year, but I wanna get my feet in quick for this, as I don't want to mess up where I can go when I'm done. Thanks for any help.

RotD

Guest medicator007

RotD,

Yeah Mcgill has a strong tradition in the neurosciences, staring with Penfield/Milner (the latter still teaches medicine and is awesome!) and continued today through the research at the MNI and strong neurology departments at the McGill affiliated hospitals.

I did my 2 week neuro elective at the Montreal General Hospital, and personally, even though Neuro (anatomy, physio, clinical) is my absolute LEAST favourite part of medicine I had a good time there and it was a great learning experience. They have had several OOP students on elective, one was there on rotation with me and he came for the same reasons that you alluded to in ur post.

For more information on what is available and how to go about McGill electives you can check out the following URL:

www.medicine.mcgill.ca/ug...rogram.htm

Hope that helps!

Lemme know if there is anything else I can be of assistance with.

Medicator

Guest RageoftheDragon

Hey, thanks for the link. According to what I could find, McGill doesn't want anyone around until they are in their clerkships. That was my impression based on a quick perusal. However, I'll continue to look deeper and see if there is some way I can slip in earlier.

RotD

Guest medicator007

Yeah I don't think they officially take out of McGill students on who aren't in clerkship. That being said you are always more than capable of speaking directly to a neuro guy and working in that way as has been suggested before in other threads. Sometimes it is best to approach bureaucracy from the other direction.

Cheers,

Medicator

• 1 year later...

Archived