Premed 101 Forums

endocrine

Hello everyone! I am doing an IM residency in NY, second year. I am considering doing an endocrinology fellowship. I would like to return to Canada once I'm done.

Can someone shed some light on how endocrinologists do in Canada, in terms of job opportunities, salaries, lifestyle, patient population.

Thank you so much!

• 2 weeks later...

The nice thing is that it is not resource-intensive, so very easy to open your own office/clinic wherever you like. Job opportunities are pretty good. As a primarily outpatient specialty, lifestyle is very good (little call), but of course your income is proportional to the number of patients you see in clinic.

I love Endocrine! It's very fun!

Your ward patients are mostly DM1/2 management; along with some thyroid stuff mixed in there.

In my 4 weeks on selective, there is a huge range of patients in clinic!

It's really rewarding work!

The only thing is, you must be ready to explain a million times to nurses why sliding scale is reactive and why correction scales are different, and why someone with Type 1 diabetes should ALWAYS have insulin on board and why a blood sugar of 4.8 does not mean that the person doesn't get their aspart before they eat! :P

I love Endocrine! It's very fun!

Your ward patients are mostly DM1/2 management; along with some thyroid stuff mixed in there.

In my 4 weeks on selective, there is a huge range of patients in clinic!

It's really rewarding work!

The only thing is, you must be ready to explain a million times to nurses why sliding scale is reactive and why correction scales are different, and why someone with Type 1 diabetes should ALWAYS have insulin on board and why a blood sugar of 4.8 does not mean that the person doesn't get their aspart before they eat! :P

Also explaining a million times why you aren't turning off the insulin drip on a DKA patient when their sugars get lower. :P

Archived