Premed 101 Forums

shadowing a physician

Hey i want to know if Ontario medical school will look at whether you shadow a physician. And how do you obtain such a position when there might be rules and regulation in hospitals prevent you to shadow a doctor. I volunteer at this medical clinic and mostly observe the doctor is that shadowing. Has anyone shadowed and how did they get that position

You just need to ask around and see if there are any physicians that will allow you to shadow. You also need to look at the respective guidelines set by the local medical authority because some authorities don't let non-med students shadow. I know a few friends in Ontario who, after trying dozens of physicians, finally found one who agreed to letting them shadow.

If you observed him that is "shadowing".

Shadowing is not some position that you have to apply for.

For many premeds, shadowing is this elusive, impossible-to-get, position that only the "cool people" have done. But the truth is most people who "shadow" do so with family members or close family friends since as you mentioned there are issues of confidentiality.

If you volunteer in a clinic and you got some chances to observe the doctor in action, in other words, you know a little bit about what a doctor actually does in everyday life, then that is sufficient.

People put SO much emphasis on shadowing for med school apps but the reality is all they want to know is that you have made an effort to see what doctors do on a daily basis and in turn whether you would make a good fit.

If I want someone to give me a value, I prefer myself to give him/her another value as well. To get things easier in finding a shadowing position, how about to offer the doctor to help in chores for a limited time of the day? Say, for instance, in paperwork..

I think its always an unlocker to offer, instead of demand.

If I want someone to give me a value, I prefer myself to give him/her another value as well. To get things easier in finding a shadowing position, how about to offer the doctor to help in chores for a limited time of the day? Say, for instance, in paperwork..

wat10 characters

So you're propsing to do work that his staff already does?

Volunteering can also help you get your foot in the door - at the hospital where I volunteered, if you did a certain number of hours as a volunteer, they would help you find a shadowing opportunity. That was in NYC, but you could always call your local hospitals' volunteer departments and try your luck.

Me, I preferred volunteering to shadowing. I liked being useful and feeling like part of the team, even if it was only emptying bedpans and such.

Volunteering can also help you get your foot in the door - at the hospital where I volunteered, if you did a certain number of hours as a volunteer, they would help you find a shadowing opportunity. That was in NYC, but you could always call your local hospitals' volunteer departments and try your luck.

Me, I preferred volunteering to shadowing. I liked being useful and feeling like part of the team, even if it was only emptying bedpans and such.

If someone is making you empty bedpans, report them. They shouldn't be asking you to so much as touch a bedpan, much less be emptying or cleaning them.

Yeah, I worked at an inner city hospital in NYC and I did all kinds of stuff I wasn't supposed to do because we were chronically understaffed and overpopulated. Emptying bedpans, assisting patients to the toilet, helping them wipe afterwards, feeding patients, watching patients when there weren't enough staff to put them on 1:1. I was 16 at the time, so I thought it was great, but looking back it was a bit sketchy.

There was this one nurse who used to leave me to watch the stepdown unit while she went for lunch and she should NOT have done that. Once one of the patients' trach tube clogged and I had to frantically run and find a nurse to help him.

I sure did get a lot of clinical experience, but I also ended up a little leery of hospitals :P

Yeah, I worked at an inner city hospital and I did all kinds of stuff I wasn't supposed to do because we were chronically understaffed and overpopulated. Emptying bedpans, assisting patients to the toilet, helping them wipe afterwards, feeding patients, watching patients when there weren't enough staff to put them on 1:1. I was 16 at the time, so I thought it was great, but looking back it was a bit sketchy.

Lol, when I was 16 they asked me to do some of that stuff too. I called my mom (who worked at the hospital) to ask her how to do it properly. She came down and yelled at the nurse who asked me to do it. Oops!

I have had Med 1's who have "shadowed" on my service and they end up shadowing me. I love it! It's super fun and I love teaching. I don't think they dislike me too much - :P

Yo stack,

I wouldn't worry too much about having someone with your last name as a verifier. The verifiers are just their to confirm you did the activity. They do not work like references from what I understand. I had my wife (same last name) as a verifier for a whole slew of things and I didn't even realize that would look a little off until now.

As far as actually shadowing a family member... I have heard that adcoms aren't big on people who use family connections (especially for LORs) but I think it would be okay in this case since it is just an EC on your list for OMSAS. Its not like they are getting you a paid job or something, just letting you see what their work is like. Another idea would be to ask if they could hook you up with someone who isn't a family member that they know who you could shadow.

Yo stack,

I wouldn't worry too much about having someone with your last name as a verifier. The verifiers are just their to confirm you did the activity. They do not work like references from what I understand. I had my wife (same last name) as a verifier for a whole slew of things and I didn't even realize that would look a little off until now.

As far as actually shadowing a family member... I have heard that adcoms aren't big on people who use family connections (especially for LORs) but I think it would be okay in this case since it is just an EC on your list for OMSAS. Its not like they are getting you a paid job or something, just letting you see what their work is like. Another idea would be to ask if they could hook you up with someone who isn't a family member that they know who you could shadow.

alright cool thanks for the advice :)

Archived