Premed 101 Forums

Schools' views on relevance of pre-reqs from 10 years ago?

I've read a few posts about non-trads going back to school to do their pre-reqs after their first undergrad. But what about those who did their pre-reqs over 10 years ago during their first undergrad?

Quebec schools have a rule under which applicants must have have completed their pre-reqs within the last 8 years. I am not aware of an equivalent rule for other schools in Canada. However, do schools look at candidates who have done pre-reqs done over 10 years ago in a less favourable light? Or do they just want the pre-reqs to have been done and then rely mostly on the MCAT to evaluate the candidate's grasp of the basic sciences? (In my case, I would like to apply to med school in the fall and I'm writing the MCAT next month.)

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

To answer the question, I believe it depends on the school your applying to. They all have different policies, but I think you should apply anyways if it's been more than 8 years, including outside of quebec, especially if you have a graduate degree in basic science and a good MCAT score. Best of luck!

I don't remember seeing anything about an "expiration date" outside QC. That 8 year rule really sucked for me... had to retake bio & chem (managed to get the ok on math & physics because I took them in my undergrad exactly 8 years ago). That was the biggest waste of time as I could have written the exams with a couple days' notice. Oh well.

I don't remember seeing anything about an "expiration date" outside QC. That 8 year rule really sucked for me... had to retake bio & chem (managed to get the ok on math & physics because I took them in my undergrad exactly 8 years ago). That was the biggest waste of time as I could have written the exams with a couple days' notice. Oh well.

Nor do I either - i don't think there is a time limit in Ontario at least and I can't recall any other school that has one as well (outside of Quebec of course) :)

Thanks for the replies. I was wondering whether anyone had gotten asked about this in an interview (along the lines of "Do you feel confident about being able to to med school as your pre-reqs date from 10 years ago?") It's quite a lot of work reviewing all this stuff again before writing MCATs after such a long while, but it's strangely interesting too....

Thanks for the replies. I was wondering whether anyone had gotten asked about this in an interview (along the lines of "Do you feel confident about being able to to med school as your pre-reqs date from 10 years ago?") It's quite a lot of work reviewing all this stuff again before writing MCATs after such a long while, but it's strangely interesting too....

I doubt anything like that would come up in an interview. If it did, there's a lot you can point to (ie performance on the MCAT or more recent performance in similar coursework).

Gosh, can't imagine anyone even having time for stuff like that at an interview.

Prereqs don't really prepare you for med school anyway - they simply demonstrate you can learn a variety of important things when needed. I don't use biochem, organic chem, physical chem, critical english writing, physics or cell biology lately to any real degree :) but the fact I can do well in such areas on demand means I think I am more likely to be able handle perhaps a med school curriculum.

I agree with what others are saying- but please note that you may run into the odd non-trad (myself included) who redid pre-reqs for UBC's now-defunct 10-year rule.

Yeah, it sucked redoing 1st yr English only to find out in the middle of the term that there was absolutely no reason for me to be doing it... :mad:

As far as I know there's no school at this point that would require it.

I agree with what others are saying- but please note that you may run into the odd non-trad (myself included) who redid pre-reqs for UBC's now-defunct 10-year rule.

Yeah, it sucked redoing 1st yr English only to find out in the middle of the term that there was absolutely no reason for me to be doing it... :mad:

As far as I know there's no school at this point that would require it.

UBC's rule was 10 years? Man I wish it had been that way for UdeM instead of 8, it would have saved me redoing my cegep courses this year!

kylamonkey, that must have been so frustrating!

I'm glad to get all of your views on prereqs. I guess I've had some interviews (not med) where the interviewer just likes to be confrontational to see how the interviewee will react.

Archived