Premed 101 Forums

transfer credit

Hi, I am about to finish up a 2nd degree (total of 3 years) and will be applying this next cycle for the 2012 interviews during my last school year. I've obtained a 3.95 in the first year and 3.98 in the second year of my second degree. Hopefully, I will do the same in this final year. I've written the Mcat and obtained an amazing score that will allow me to apply to queens and western. However, I now face a dilemma that maybe someone might be able to help me with. I finished my first degree in biology about 5 years ago, took some time off, did some traveling, and then decided to do a second degree to re-pursue my dream of medicine. Certain transfer credits were given to me and some were not. I took a bio course a couple years ago that was pharmacology. However, I was not given this course as a transfer credit for a prerequisite at the university I am attending now (also a pharmacology course but a health science one). I had to take this course again at this university to full fill the new degree requirement. I am now worried that this one year will not be considered a full year course load because of this repeat course that I did not obtain a transfer credit for. However, I contacted the UWO and asked the secretary. She told me that as long as the university I am attending now does not give me a transfer credit for that course, even if its still a pharmacology course it will not be considered a repeat. However, I am still concerned because of reading several threads on transfer credits. I fear that the admission committee will still regard this as a repeat since it is also pharmacology and disregard that year as a full course load. Can anyone shed some light on this, thanks in advance.

Hi, I am about to finish up a 2nd degree (total of 3 years) and will be applying this next cycle for the 2012 interviews during my last school year. I've obtained a 3.95 in the first year and 3.98 in the second year of my second degree. Hopefully, I will do the same in this final year. I've written the Mcat and obtained an amazing score that will allow me to apply to queens and western. However, I now face a dilemma that maybe someone might be able to help me with. I finished my first degree in biology about 5 years ago, took some time off, did some traveling, and then decided to do a second degree to re-pursue my dream of medicine. Certain transfer credits were given to me and some were not. I took a bio course a couple years ago that was pharmacology. However, I was not given this course as a transfer credit for a prerequisite at the university I am attending now (also a pharmacology course but a health science one). I had to take this course again at this university to full fill the new degree requirement. I am now worried that this one year will not be considered a full year course load because of this repeat course that I did not obtain a transfer credit for. However, I contacted the UWO and asked the secretary. She told me that as long as the university I am attending now does not give me a transfer credit for that course, even if its still a pharmacology course it will not be considered a repeat. However, I am still concerned because of reading several threads on transfer credits. I fear that the admission committee will still regard this as a repeat since it is also pharmacology and disregard that year as a full course load. Can anyone shed some light on this, thanks in advance.

What the uwo secretary said to you is true - Western has no idea if two courses cover the same content and thus would be repeats. It relies on the people in the 2nd degree to make that determination and they have. Since they didn't say they were equivalent and thus refused a transfer credit to you you should be safe. You have even contacted the office to confirm this.

I have seen this several times in people applying. The real way you get in trouble is by not pulling over transfer credits at all.

Also as a side note the "secretary" you were talking to very likely is actually the person that processes your application.

and best of luck in the coming application cycle!

Archived