Premed 101 Forums

Japan beats Germany in the 2011 Women's World Cup Quarter Finals

phosgenic

Japan has a really hard working team, so I don't think this is that unbelievable. You know what's more crazy? When the U.S team beat Spain in the confederation cup (I think was the name). A short time later Spain won the world cup woooo!

True, but here's a better article:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Japan+shocks+Germany+extra+time/5078572/story.html

"Saturday's quarterfinal was viewed as a mere formality prior to kickoff, with host nation Germany installed as a heavy favorite after winning the past two World Cups.

The Germans last loss in the competition came to the United States in the quarterfinals in 1999, but Japan put together an inspired performance to pull off the stunner of the tournament."

But you're right, nothing is unbelievable, that's the point I think.

LOL well my ignorance aside, if you actually watched the game, it was almost total domination, and would have been a complete blow out if not for the never give up never give in mentality of the Japanese. To me it was precisely reminiscent of the movie 'Miracle' when the US beat the Soviets. Perhaps it's not as miraculous as I made out in the original post, but you can't deny it's a stunning feat nonetheless, exemplifying some of the main components necessary to achieve success in the face of towering odds.

that's akin to saying canada is number 1 in the womens hockey world standings and finland is number 5. germany was by far the best team in the worl, the goal canada scored on them in the pre-elimination was the first goal they gave up in 7-8 games?

Japan's 4th in the world and Germany's 2nd in the world in the women's rankings. I don't find it that hard to believe that Japan has the capacity to beat Germany.

that's akin to saying canada is number 1 in the womens hockey world standings and finland is number 5. germany was by far the best team in the worl, the goal canada scored on them in the pre-elimination was the first goal they gave up in 7-8 games?

A superbly apt analogy

Archived