Premed 101 Forums

The New Facebook?

Addy K

So I have always disliked facebook, for various reasons, and I'm really hoping Google+ (potentially a real competitor for facebook) takes off. It's really not all that different, but it seems they are more stringent about privacy and won't be changing their privacy policies every so often like fb has. But Google makes lots of money off advertisements and such so who really knows. In any case Google+, to me, feels more like an intuitive real-life experience with the 1 hour I have had it lol.. Only time will tell, but if you guys are interested, read up on here: http://techcrunch.com/2011/06/28/google-plus/

...There's also an interesting discussion in the comments section on this blog: http://crookedtimber.org/2011/07/05/google-plus/

I'm currently trying it to see what's up... Kinda getting used to the interface and circles is an interesting way to go about sharing. However the obsessive part of me is having a lot of trouble deciding what circles to use, who to put into which and so on :D And the fact pretty much everyone is on facebook already..

From my point of view, Facebook would have to royally screw something up for Google+ to take over the market share of Facebook... competitors can come along and introduce cool new interfaces and whatnot that are better than Facebook... but everyone is already on Facebook.

I can only see myself signing up for and using Google+ if everyone else drops Facebook first... I'm pretty happy with it as is.

I filled out my Google+ profile yesterday because I was bored. I can't help but see a huge huge similarity to FB. G+ does have some nice chat/videochat options though and it is easy to fill in friends since most people use gmail already. It would be nice to have my email and social media stuff all linked. I am so not migrating away from FB until it starts trying to sell my organs on the FB marketplace. I have everything set up on FB already. A major obstacle to getting people to switch/use both - reuploading all your photos.

I've never uploaded that much pics on FB. Didn't even know they'd raised the size limit to 2048px last fall! I've started uploading my pics to Picasa though.. Google+ account sets the limit to 2048px as well so basically you get unlimited pic storage (like FB) with 1GB worth not resized and the rest set at 2048px. The way my albums are set up on my laptop makes it very easy to import into picasa and just upload for backup (I do the same in dropbox). And it imports pics automatically from my phone.

Haven't decided yet if Picasa is worth it or if I'll just go back to my old ways, and don't know if I'll really use google+ as I have very little friends using gmail or on google+ as of now.

My grandparents wont set up another account somewhere else, neither will my parents or most of my aunts and uncles. I only stay on facebook because of family anyways and I know a lot of people that are the same way, so I'm sure Facebook will fend off Google +.

Archived