Premed 101 Forums

Would you still pursue medicine if salaries were same as high school teacher level?

anxious_101

Would you still pursue medicine if salaries were the same as a high school teacher?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Would you still pursue medicine if salaries were the same as a high school teacher?

• Yes
    • No
    • Indifferent

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the cost of education, the years of training required, and the time demands were similar, then maybe. Medicine requires significantly more training and years of my life (not earning an income), as well as higher expectations of personal sacrifice through a career - this all comes at a price.

For the same salary? No. Doctors work far more hours. For the same hourly wages? Maybe. It would depend on medical school tuition being free and other changes being made like better hours, vacation and benefits. Also shift-work would deserve a stipend.

My desire to be a MD has little to do with money. I quit a job in which I was taking home about as much as the average family docs does. Plus I had great benefits and worked fewer hours. I will never come close to recouping the money I am losing to do a UG and, if I am accepted, MD and residency. There is more to life than money.

Money has nothing to do with why I'm doing my MD, but there would have to be some change to education cost because it would be way too hard to pay off your debts.

+1. If I just wanted to make money, I would have joined a civilian firm when I left the military. I would have made more than enough money to live very comfortably (especially when combined with my husband's salary).

As the others have posted, as long as there is some form of change to the education costs, then I'd still pursue it.

Yeah that is kind of the bottom line for me :) and you know the costs would fall if that would happen.

To put it in perspective some moderately senior teachers earn 80,000 a year and have 2 months to themselves in the summer, other holidays etc. They certainly work more than 9 to 3 during the year - I had a landlord teacher before and actually was a teacher for one year, and at night there is marking and lesson plans etc which take a while for some courses. Still the pay is quite good actually :)

Yeah that is kind of the bottom line for me :) and you know the costs would fall if that would happen.

To put it in perspective some moderately senior teachers earn 80,000 a year and have 2 months to themselves in the summer, other holidays etc. They certainly work more than 9 to 3 during the year - I had a landlord teacher before and actually was a teacher for one year, and at night there is marking and lesson plans etc which take a while for some courses. Still the pay is quite good actually :)

Teachers in ontario get paid quite well, but in alberta they don't get nearly as much. I think high school teachers here get ~50k.

Teachers in ontario get paid quite well, but in alberta they don't get nearly as much. I think high school teachers here get ~50k.

Guess our union is doing better than yours :)

On per hour basis teachers are not that far off of what family doctors were earning just a short time ago (once both were established).

WOW! I didn't know the majority would say no. Ugh, now I wish their salaries were the same as teachers. :/

Surprised? I am guess I wasn't - money is a very powerful motivator for a lot of people going into medicine. It isn't for a quite a number of others as well - the debate on that rages over and over again on the forum :) Interesting the poll is pretty much 50/50.

That's starting... after about 5 years it goes up extensively. I remember our high school teacher showing us the pay scale. It also depends on your level of education and experience. 50k is for college educated teachers. After a moderate amount of time, you're making 75k and full benefits. After 20ish years you can retire with FULL pension. Not many other jobs offer that kind of benefit package. And the weekends off. And summer holidays. And EVERY holiday. I could go for that :D

In all seriousness, yeah, I'd still pursue medicine if it paid the same. It's not about the money. As long as I can still put a roof over my head, food on the table and clothes on my back, then that's all that matters. Everything else is just extra. It's more important to be happy with what you do as opposed to miserably making a ton of cash.

That's starting... after about 5 years it goes up extensively. I remember our high school teacher showing us the pay scale. It also depends on your level of education and experience. 50k is for college educated teachers. After a moderate amount of time, you're making 75k and full benefits. After 20ish years you can retire with FULL pension. Not many other jobs offer that kind of benefit package. And the weekends off. And summer holidays. And EVERY holiday. I could go for that :D

In all seriousness, yeah, I'd still pursue medicine if it paid the same. It's not about the money. As long as I can still put a roof over my head, food on the table and clothes on my back, then that's all that matters. Everything else is just extra. It's more important to be happy with what you do as opposed to miserably making a ton of cash.

Yeah there is the quality of life factor. If you don't have time to actually spend the money you make then you are kind of defeating the point. Oh and that pension effectively ups teachers really income quite a bit - imagine knowing up front you don't have to worry at all about retirement. No wonder the average age of retirement for teachers is below 60 year of age.

There is a pile of research on this stuff too by the way on income and happiness:

http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S15/15/09S18/index.xml?section=topstories

Beyond a point income doesn't make you that much happier - the question is of course what is that point :)

Yeah there is the quality of life factor. If you don't have time to actually spend the money you make then you are kind of defeating the point. Oh and that pension effectively ups teachers really income quite a bit - imagine knowing up front you don't have to worry at all about retirement. No wonder the average age of retirement for teachers is below 60 year of age.

There is a pile of research on this stuff too by the way on income and happiness:

http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S15/15/09S18/index.xml?section=topstories

Beyond a point income doesn't make you that much happier - the question is of course what is that point :)

Yeah, my one high school science teacher said he was retiring at like 50ish. To quote "why work longer? You're just wasting your own time. Once I qualify for full pension, I'm retiring".

Archived