Premed 101 Forums

I do not understand Alcohol

thehockeykid

Right. Because every time I meet a girl at a club who says this she's just HEAPS of fun!

lol. I don't think those type of girls would generally be at clubs. There are a ton of fun people that don't drink and go to clubs.

I don't drink but any kind of routine task gets boring too fast.

What I find more fun is working out or playing sports till you can't move and letting the euphoria set in.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No you can't, alcohol at the right amount in the right setting increases elation and happiness while reducing inhibitions.

It's just another social tool without the strength of other drugs (since you generally get high on alcohol at a linear curve and not on a single dose like pills for example) or the complete brain shutdown of marijuana.

You just got to relax in life is what I'm sayin'. Except pot, **** that ****.

any reason for this statement?

We recommend some patients drink alcohol because of the cardiovascular effects. Just thought I'd point that out.

Also, this thread has made me really want a Mill Street Coffee Porter.

Do any docs actually recommend drinking? I thought it was more along the lines of allow drinking in moderation... The very modest cardio effects do not justify recommending that someone take up the habit. Furthermore, most patients on medications for such conditions are told to stop drinking, correct?

thought the current standard was to not discourage if they were already drinking, rather than encouraging new drinking, just drinking since u have more experience than me, tnx

We recommend some patients drink alcohol because of the cardiovascular effects. Just thought I'd point that out.

Yeah, benzo's, painkillers, and alcohol are a particularly bad combo...

Do any docs actually recommend drinking? I thought it was more along the lines of allow drinking in moderation... The very modest cardio effects do not justify recommending that someone take up the habit. Furthermore, most patients on medications for such conditions are told to stop drinking, correct?

You might not understand alcohol, but alcohol certainly understands me!

Haha, if I could "like" this post, I would. As someone who grew up with parents who were alcoholics and drug users, you can learn to see the error in their ways. A lot of people abuse alcohol, but in moderation, it's completely fine.

I honestly have no problem with people who choose not to drink. It's completely your choice. That being said, for better or for worse, our society is structured on social drinking, and medicine is no different. There have been several times this past year where I sat down for a beer with an attending/faculty member (we did jager bombs with our clinical skills tutors after our OSCE!). I'm sure they would have no problem with someone who doesn't drink, but particularly in one-on-one settings, you don't want to make them feel uncomfortable if they're having a beer and you're drinking a water or juice.

I don't drink because to be honest, alcohol tastes horrible unless it's heavily diluted with some sort of juice/cola/tonic. So I'd rather just drink the juice instead...

As a matter of fact, I always found wine tasters were full of bull. Every time they describe a wine, they pull every possible adjective from their repertoire, but in the end, if you don't kid yourself, wine tastes bad. Which is why they say it's a taste you have to "acquire". Ya... essentially you have to drink so much of it to kill of the taste buds that hate it lol.

I thought it was just red wine for CV protective effects, and that has been called into question through some research recently. Even then, it's still only an average of 1 cup/day for patients.

Wine tastes amazing, colas pops and all those soft drinks taste like ******.

Ya if you compare crap to crap, then the wine tastes better, but I'd much rather have a nice cool glass of orange juice than some overly bitter/sour glass of wine. Not to mention that wine is expensive as ****. I mean when they come up with things like:

Deep almost opaque wine with clean aromas of blackberry, blueberry, cherry, and spearmint. A smooth, rich palate of concentrated berry flavours fills the mouth, along with nuances of dark chocolate, tobacco, and black pepper.

Ya, I'm pretty sure tasting tobacco and chocolate with a hint every type of berry man has ever discovered doesn't happen every time you swirl wine in your mouth.

Bleh the only good reason I see to drink wine at the dinner table is to make the convos more interesting :P

I think as long as people drink within their limits, and do not use alcohol as a way to deal any underlying issues that's alright. I just can't stand people who continuously drink to the point that they need to be babysat for the rest of the night. I'm trying to enjoy myself too!

I drink because I do like the taste of alcoholic beverages, and alcohol facilitates socialization.

There was a study a few years ago that compared all alcohol. I think it was in the CMAJ. Wine was most benificial but alcohol in general showed some benefit (beer, liquor).

I know a few who will tell patients to drink a serving a day. Like all meds we use it's got to be done on a risk vs benefit basis. Generally, though, we aren't telling people to start drinking, it's more of a "oh you aren't completely dry? You could get a benefit from having a drink a day".

Ya if you compare crap to crap, then the wine tastes better, but I'd much rather have a nice cool glass of orange juice than some overly bitter/sour glass of wine. Not to mention that wine is expensive as ****. I mean when they come up with things like:

Deep almost opaque wine with clean aromas of blackberry, blueberry, cherry, and spearmint. A smooth, rich palate of concentrated berry flavours fills the mouth, along with nuances of dark chocolate, tobacco, and black pepper.

Ya, I'm pretty sure tasting tobacco and chocolate with a hint every type of berry man has ever discovered doesn't happen every time you swirl wine in your mouth.

Bleh the only good reason I see to drink wine at the dinner table is to make the convos more interesting :P

Don't be bitter because your palate isn't sophisticated. :)

If your purpose in drinking alcohol is simply socializing then it's fine. But if you really get yourself drunk then it's not good. I think college students loves to get drunk, they wanted to really become a full adult and for them if they drink and smoke they are real man, which is really not. And you are right drinking doesn't really do good at all. But for those who wish to forget their issues in life they find alcohol as the best company, because it made them feel good. I know it's stupid but we have to do something about this especially for college students. In particular to female college students who's likely vulnerable to become a victim of gang rape. Just a piece of advice for college girls out there.

Manuel

How do you define "good" and "bad"?? Have you been to a party or gathering lately and were there girls there under the influence of alcohol?? If so, did they appear to be enjoying themselves or did they end up being the victims of gang rape??

Sure, things can happen but your statement has focused on a very small percentage of people and cases who decide to drink. I agree that alcohol can put people at risk(all sorts) but there are risks associated with any activity.

This is another one of those annoying posts by someone who obviously thinks they know something about a topic they have no experience with. Ignorance isn't always bliss.

That's why I don't drink anymore; I could handle the hang over ok but I was tired of getting gang raped. Good advice manuel, you really have peoples best interest at heart and as a reward I grant you immediate acceptance to the medschool of your choice.

^^ Sounds like a very reasonable reason. Did you try the acai whatever in his sig too? :D

Archived