Premed 101 Forums

French requirement

Guest biomedeng

Guest biomedeng

Hello,

I heard that you dont have to speak French in order to study medicine at McGill, or to do a residency in Montreal. However I heard that to practice medicine in Quebec you must be fully fluent in French.

Can somebody please comment on their experience.

Thanks

Guest medicator007

You do not need to be able to speak french in order to study medicine at McGill or do your residency here. HOWEVER, Montreal is a truly billingual city and you will have patients that speak French all throughout your training so it would be a MAJOR asset to be comfortable with french during medical school and especially residency!

As for the requirement in order to practice in Quebec, this is true. All physicians must pass a french exam (written, oral, listening, reading) in order to get a permit to practice medicine in the province unless you have a french as a first language certificate from High School. Apparantly though the test is not all the difficult, my supervisor this past summer was from Ontario and he was able to pass with a little review of the material he learned in High School.

Cheers,

Medicator

• 2 years later...

Archived