Premed 101 Forums

writing the mcat

Alyssa11

I'd like to add, my advice would be to try your best to learn the material by utilizing all your resources- that'd be khan academy, wikipremed, studentdoc, pm101, and obviously the prep books -kaplan, tpr, EK, friends, PLENTY OF PRACTICE Q's etc. See how you do. If you don't do so great, then i would see if taking (insert pre req) would help me understand (this concept) better and improve my MCAT score.

I have a friend who didn't take any of the prereq's (admission reqs excluded), and studied for the mcat using princeton and is now at Western :)

I would definitely suggest a material intensive course, princeton, over a strategy course, such as kaplan, in your case. If you can't take a course, it's still very doable, just make sure get a Princeton review set and buy the AAMC practise tests.

Good luck! (but yes, make sure you have at least the pre-reqs to apply, they're just not necessary for the mcat if you're a diligent worker)

I'm writing the MCAT on Sept 10 with only 3 credits of Chem. I find that a lot of the material was covered in my grade 12 science courses - the MCAT material just goes a bit more in depth. I'm using Examkrackers and princeton review, plus high school text books to cover basics that I don't remember. So far I'm feeling alright. It is easy to get overwhelmed when you have so much to learn, so give yourself plenty of time to study.

If you are motivated and good at self-directed learning you will be fine!!

I got a 5 on a practice exam in physical sciences without taking physics and a 10 on the real one after taking physics. Is taking physics worth it before writing the MCAT? It was for me. It cannot hurt to take your pre-req's first and arguably, it'll make you stronger at identifying wack-o answers.

Archived