Premed 101 Forums

Background of accepted McMaster PA students

I will be applying to the McMaster P.A. program as a back-up plan if I don't get in to medical school. However, I have heard that the P.A. program is extremely competitive as well. Is it true that most of the students accepted in to the P.A. program have more than a bachelors, and usually have a masters, PhD or experience working in health care? This is mainly directed at those who are current students in the P.A. program. What type of educational and work experience background do most students have? Also, what type of GPA do people seem to have, on average?

I am beginning to think that I may need a third back-up plan for a career, since getting accepted in to the P.A. program seems to be just as difficult a task as getting a med school acceptance is. The more I learn about Physician Assistants, the more I'm thinking that this may just be the perfect career option for me.

So, I just talked to the lady at my University's Career Center, and she said that PA's will probably have a very hard time getting jobs in the GTA. *Sigh* I guess I'll have to stick with American med schools as a back up plan.

So, I just talked to the lady at my University's Career Center, and she said that PA's will probably have a very hard time getting jobs in the GTA. *Sigh* I guess I'll have to stick with American med schools as a back up plan.

That's not at all true. I find it a bit ridiculous for her to even say such a thing.

I was just accepted into the PA program and will be starting in September. To my knowledge, I believe there is an initial GPA cut-off in order for them to read your supplemental application (~3.5). From there, offers to the MMI and writing station are issued, with offers of admission being given to applicants who were the most successful at the these tasks. There is no preferential acceptance given to those with post-graduate studies or with previous healthcare experience though these things may help one to be successful through aiding one's MMI performance. However, there are many students (maybe even more) who are accepted with 2-4 years of undergrad education. Successful applicants come in various forms - it all comes down to if you possess the qualities that they are looking for!

As for job prospects, I wouldn't take advice from anyone who is not in the field. The PA initiative in Ontario is relatively new and there is a lot of misinformation out there. From what I understand, jobs do exist and there is great potential for the profession to expand and be in high demand.

I was just accepted into the PA program and will be starting in September. To my knowledge, I believe there is an initial GPA cut-off in order for them to read your supplemental application (~3.5). From there, offers to the MMI and writing station are issued, with offers of admission being given to applicants who were the most successful at the these tasks. There is no preferential acceptance given to those with post-graduate studies or with previous healthcare experience though these things may help one to be successful through aiding one's MMI performance. However, there are many students (maybe even more) who are accepted with 2-4 years of undergrad education. Successful applicants come in various forms - it all comes down to if you possess the qualities that they are looking for!

As for job prospects, I wouldn't take advice from anyone who is not in the field. The PA initiative in Ontario is relatively new and there is a lot of misinformation out there. From what I understand, jobs do exist and there is great potential for the profession to expand and be in high demand.

What she said.

Thanks for the replies! I definitely do feel that PA job prospects will improve with time, although, I'm still a bit worried about how many restrictions and limitations will be placed on PA practice in Canada. I know that in the States many PA's essentially get to work solo as primary care providers, with limited supervision, but in Canada this would not be allowed since, by law, the patient has to be seen by a Doctor.

Still, I'm really excited about this profession! I love how PA's don't have to get stuck in to any one specialty. I especially love how after 2 years of training I would be able to start working in emergency medicine.

Thanks for the replies! I definitely do feel that PA job prospects will improve with time, although, I'm still a bit worried about how many restrictions and limitations will be placed on PA practice in Canada. I know that in the States many PA's essentially get to work solo as primary care providers, with limited supervision, but in Canada this would not be allowed since, by law, the patient has to be seen by a Doctor.

Still, I'm really excited about this profession! I love how PA's don't have to get stuck in to any one specialty. I especially love how after 2 years of training I would be able to start working in emergency medicine.

No PAs work "solo" in the USA. All PAs in the USA have a legal arrangement of supervision with a sponsoring physician. PAs are autonomous but supervised. The LEVEL of supervision is negotiated and agreed-upon by the PA-Physician team with each PA-Physician relationship being unique. A new-grad PA will require a different level of supervision than is likely to be needed for an experienced PA.

As for Canada, each province is setting things up differently and the interpretation of "has to be seen" by a physician varies and differs. There has already been a thread on this and there are many opinions. The short of it is, there is little point in having PAs if a physician still has to spend considerable time with a PA's patients. Many physicians who work with PAs in Ontario do not see the PA's patients. How they choose to deal with the current OHIP regulations though I don't know.

Archived