Premed 101 Forums

Friday, August 12 - MCAT

Sebriz

There most likely is already a group about this somewhere but for those of you in the same boat.. How are you feeling? Two weeks from tommorow :eek:

Personally I am super nervous.. I think I am going to have to delete Facebook and uninstall Starcraft 2 (A computer game), in order to devote 100% of my time to studying.

In the next two weeks I plan on going over weak areas, making sure things are memorized and doing AAMC or Kaplan tests.

What are your plans for the final two weeks?

ALMOST THERE! :P

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah a place to vent and have everyone understand = awesomness.

Any tips for verbal!!? I am using kaplans strategy but not scoring well (7s)`...I feel its too late to go out and buy Exam Krackers and start using a new strategy.

2 weeks strategy:

Do an MCAT a day (Kaplan), review answers, study weak areas & last min memorization. VERBAL practice. (7 passages a day)....when tired work on editing UBC application.

ANYONE using Kaplan`s verbal strategy here!? Hows it working for you?

I`ve changed it so I DONT map for topic or scope just purpose and then map one sentence per paragraph. ANother method was told to try just reading the first sentence of each paragraph and mapping that...then more time on qs?

Help plz ;( i need to make it through VERBAL ...i didnt donate summer away for nothing ;( min even 8 OR 9 at this point!

Any tips for verbal!!? I am using kaplans strategy but not scoring well (7s)`...I feel its too late to go out and buy Exam Krackers and start using a new strategy.

2 weeks strategy:

Do an MCAT a day (Kaplan), review answers, study weak areas & last min memorization. VERBAL practice. (7 passages a day)....when tired work on editing UBC application.

I`ve changed it so I DONT map for topic or scope just purpose and then map one sentence per paragraph. ANother method was told to try just reading the first sentence of each paragraph and mapping that...then more time on qs?

Help plz ;( i need to make it through VERBAL ...i didnt donate summer away for nothing ;( min even 8 OR 9 at this point!

Ok well since we still have a bit of time I honestly think it would be good to use the EK method. I have heard of some people that don't want to buy books download a torrent of it by looking up EK Verbal and Math book Torrent on google. This is bad and I don't recommend it though and the moderators of this forum don't like that.. but all you have to do is look on google and if you are not familiar with torrents just use uTorrent.

Put a Few good days in with the EK strategy and the results may surprise you. I think you can at least get an 8! EK does ask you to not use other strategies while you are using theirs so if it does not fair well then just go back to your old strategy!

Good luck! :)

2 weeks strategy:

In the EXACT same boat! ditched the kaplan method cause it didn't work at alllllll

No map at all, just high lighting. Works better for me!

I'm going to try applying the Universal Law of Attraction:

1) May there be no more than 10% Ochem

2) May the Verbal passages be non-humanities (And non-art based, for god's sake)

3) May there be limited weight/volume, volume/volume etc... calculations

4) May there be no one with a cold on test day

5) May the internet not disconnect, resulting in cancellation of the test (happened to my friend last month. His computer wasn't sending the answers to AAMC and his MCAT was delayed by 3 weeks O.o)

2) May the Verbal passages be non-humanities (And non-art based, for god's sake)

5) May the internet not disconnect, resulting in cancellation of the test (happened to my friend last month. His computer wasn't sending the answers to AAMC and his MCAT was delayed by 3 weeks O.o)

This. ...............

I would be happy with just that!!! One week! :o

hmm...so the count down begins!

I am just stressing over UBC not getting my transcripts...lol......i sent them out JULY 21st...and still no verification :( its weird cause under school name it says "recieved" then bc residency "not recieved." Anyways sent another one out today PRIORITY delivery from SFU...was pissed to find out that SFU delayed sending my transcript due to some problem on their end!!! ;( worst come worse.....do you guys think i could go in person to drop it off MYSELF to UBC?? it seems everyone/everything else is incapable. want something done, do it yourself.

Advice please?

hmm...so the count down begins!

I am just stressing over UBC not getting my transcripts...lol......i sent them out JULY 21st...and still no verification :( its weird cause under school name it says "recieved" then bc residency "not recieved." Anyways sent another one out today PRIORITY delivery from SFU...was pissed to find out that SFU delayed sending my transcript due to some problem on their end!!! ;( worst come worse.....do you guys think i could go in person to drop it off MYSELF to UBC?? it seems everyone/everything else is incapable. want something done, do it yourself.

Advice please?

Mine said that at first too: first "received" under school name, then a day or two later, "received" under BC residency. Rest assured, they have your transcript... no need to send another. :) I think they take a day or two extra to update BC residency because they need to take a more detailed look at your transcript--to update transcript receipt all they need to do is look at the name and institution.

Especially these two for me lol! I think that internet disconnection must have been an odd situation.

One more thing.. May we not get sick before test day! That would suck.. Anyways guys.. almost there!! We can do it!!!!

I would be happy with just that!!! One week! :o

Ha, I'm the odd ball who likes OChem heavy bio sections. Like just keep the Viro and Micro Bio down a touch and keep with anatomy.

Anyone else generally not do all 7 passages for verbal? I score fine that way on AAMC practice tests, but lower than I'd like on TPR ones... For anyone else doing this, I'll throw in a "May you not accidentally commit to an overly hard verbal passage."

And may everyone's stomach not be acting up on the day of.

Anyone else start having MCAT related nightmares? I had one starting on the two week mark. Dream me had to rush to the washroom for 10 minutes in the middle of Physical Science and then didn't finish. Then the next night my dream was that I had no possible example for writing section. I did some aamc practice tests since that went well which boosted my ego back and they've stopped since, which is nice, since writing the MCATs while I'm awake is bad enough, I don't need to do it in my sleep.

I had some dreams about 2 months ago but know they will be coming soon again as I always dream about important tests lol.

Ahh I wish we could combine our skills. I suck at orgo but don't mind micro/vir since i have a bsc in micro haha.

For verbals on the aamc tests I have been getting 9-11 with a 4 on test 9. Test 9 was the first test that I did with a computer timed pressure and I know when I am nervous I don't read deeply and my mind is all flustered but I think i am improving! Last time I took the real thing I got an 8 so definately improving

Archived