Premed 101 Forums

Difficult academic situation, is there a solution?

Maybe it would be better for him to focus on his formation generale, then apply to Maisonneuve at the nearest opportunity. He will have his DEC in 2 years and voila. Also, he only needs an R Score of 24 to continue in university at UdeM.

I agree, if we can do this it would be the best option. Thanks so much for all your help!

oh! i see

I find the DEP : http://www.oiiaq.org/fr/devenir-infirmiere-auxiliaire/programme-de-formation-sasi

College CDI near McGill University has the program.

Thanks for the link! I will definitely talk to him about this, I'm going to try what Robin Hood said first but it never hurts to keep your options open! And I won't lie it'd be nice ot go to school near him too haha

To build up his self confidence, he can go step by step.

If his grades are over 75%, he can go to the next step :

1. nurse auxiliaire (DEP 1 year) at CDI college on Maisonneuve boulevard.

2. nurse (DEC 2 years) at Dawson College

3. nurse bachelor (university 2 years) at McGill

4. nurse practionner (master 2 years + 1 year of speciality) at McGill or Université de Montréal

5. nurse practionner fellowship ... somewhere in North America.

Good luck to him !

To build up his self confidence, he can go step by step.

If his grades are over 75%, he can go to the next step :

1. nurse auxiliaire (DEP 1 year) at CDI college on Maisonneuve boulevard.

2. nurse (DEC 2 years) at Dawson College

3. nurse bachelor (university 2 years) at McGill

4. nurse practionner (master 2 years + 1 year of speciality) at McGill or Université de Montréal

5. nurse practionner fellowship ... somewhere in North America.

Good luck to him !

Thanks, I appreciate the extra mile you went through to list this! I'm happy not all doors are closed!

Hi feversugar,

A few of my close friends were in such a situation. Like your CEGEP, our class averages were around 60% a peice and likewise, one of them was given the boot after 2 successful appeal chances (for failing 3 semesters consecutively).

One way out of the mess is to work while studying part-time at continuing education at a CEGEP (night classes). After one or two semesters of successful night courses, CEGEPs would offer acceptances. There are two reasons why I suggest this that are not so obvious. Firstly, some CEGEPs have an agreement amongst each other that if a student was kicked out on academic reasons (on academic probation), no CEGEP is to admit them for atleast a year. Although there may be CEGEPs struggling for enrollment that won't honour this agreement. Secondly, working a year while studying part-time helps one gain maturity, and focus. Backed by research, girls generally mature much earlier than boys. Sometimes, a year is all that is needed for one to realize their potential.

If he's really struggling with stuff, even with all the help you've given him and his best effort, perhaps suggest social science - commerce with math (one of my friends went down that route after 2 bad semesters in health science). He has since succeded in soc sci commerce and will be attending a prestigous business school. It was a great confidence booster for him. Your bf may be able to apply for social science even now. You can always switch programs if grades permit. Social science will allow one to take the Gen.Eds. and get them out of the way in a less stressful/demanding environment. If he does eventally switch into 3 year career nursing program, he'll already have his Gen Eds done so he can have a lighter courseload and focus on his nursing courses.

The above pathway would be a less demanding route to get back into nursing though Hieu suggested a very viable option too.

He's really fortunate to have you to support him in such times. Congrats on McGill Med-P by the way!

Hi feversugar,

A few of my close friends were in such a situation. Like your CEGEP, our class averages were around 60% a peice and likewise, one of them was given the boot after 2 successful appeal chances (for failing 3 semesters consecutively).

One way out of the mess is to work while studying part-time at continuing education at a CEGEP (night classes). After one or two semesters of successful night courses, CEGEPs would offer acceptances. There are two reasons why I suggest this that are not so obvious. Firstly, some CEGEPs have an agreement amongst each other that if a student was kicked out on academic reasons (on academic probation), no CEGEP is to admit them for atleast a year. Although there may be CEGEPs struggling for enrollment that won't honour this agreement. Secondly, working a year while studying part-time helps one gain maturity, and focus. Backed by research, girls generally mature much earlier than boys. Sometimes, a year is all that is needed for one to realize their potential.

If he's really struggling with stuff, even with all the help you've given him and his best effort, perhaps suggest social science - commerce with math (one of my friends went down that route after 2 bad semesters in health science). He has since succeded in soc sci commerce and will be attending a prestigous business school. It was a great confidence booster for him. Your bf may be able to apply for social science even now. You can always switch programs if grades permit. Social science will allow one to take the Gen.Eds. and get them out of the way in a less stressful/demanding environment. If he does eventally switch into 3 year career nursing program, he'll already have his Gen Eds done so he can have a lighter courseload and focus on his nursing courses.

The above pathway would be a less demanding route to get back into nursing though Hieu suggested a very viable option too.

He's really fortunate to have you to support him in such times. Congrats on McGill Med-P by the way!

Hey!

First of all, I'd like to thank you for your very complete reply! The plan from the beginning was for him to continue working (he is a lifeguard at ymca) anyways, so what you are suggesting might very well work. My only fear is that he drops out of school because making money might seem more interesting than studying... I've heard that it's really hard to go back to school after entering the work market (if you can say that in english) full-time. I know he REALLY wants to go to school, but I'd rather not tempt him to give up altogether... But right now this seems like the best option for him, so I will talk to him about it for sure.

I did not know about the CEGEP agreement thing, though it might mean that he can finally reapply for the winter semester and get accepted. And I totally agree, having most his general ed classes done already, the extra time will help him study more if he does get back into nursing. He can take his time with his studies anyway, considering I'm probably gonna be in school for another 10 years (I want to specialize). If I sounded like he was in a rush it's probably because three's enormous pressure from my family for him to go back to school... Not exactly helping the cause right now >.<

I'm also glad (but at the same time I'm not, I wouldn't wish this on anyone) that he is not alone, that this has happened to others. I don't mean this in a condescending way, but failing a class is something I've never experienced so everything that's happened to him seems so harsh and surreal to me.

He is such an amazing person and we've been together for nearly two years now. I for one will support him no matter what happens; but at the same time I want to help him because I know that he feels he's not good enough and I hate that he thinks that cause he really is. Wow, sorry for that cheesiness xD

I know I said thanks before, but thanks again! For everything :)

I think people generally have trouble going back to education after working because of the money factor. Usually, our parents would support us if we're going straight to post secondary education. However, when we start earning an income on our own, parents may think its time to stop the support payments and use the money for other things like RRSP. Unfortunately, I see this happening a lot here, even to secondary school students who overwork. From what I read and see, things are different in the other side of the world where parents would sacrafice everything for their children's education. All that being said, I don't think it'll be an issue for him as long as he has financial support for when he does pick up his education again and doesn't have kids/family he has to support himself. If you say he really wants to go back to education then thats awesome, as the final outcome really depends on him.

He should try to apply using both the SRAM and the CAS application systems. Its been a long time and I don't know if these systems changed, but see if he can apply for both nursing and social science. I think getting into any DEC program would be a good start into getting back to nursing.

Here's the easiest option : He just goes back to cegep in human sciences or natural sciences, increase his R score than apply in nursing.

If it doesn't work, he can just go to university so his past grades don't matter anymore and so he can apply in nursing with better chances of being accepted.

A friend of mine did that and it worked very well!

Good luck

Archived