Premed 101 Forums

My chances?

DiegoForlan

Yeah I don't know if you even got invited to the interview (maybe that's why you're so bitter?) but I certainly did and they asked no such thing, nor did they ask any of my friends any personal question such as religious beliefs.

Didn't he say somewhere in his rants that they didn't call him back for an interview even though he was so extraordinary?!? :rolleyes:

McGill has the MMI just like the French schools, religion or language has absolutely nothing to do with it. He should just get over it and stop spewing hate towards McGill.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sorry but I have to tell you that every argument you pointed out are just false or irrelevant.

However, what is true is that mcgill doesn't even call to the interview candidates who arrive first on the excellence liste of the other faculties. When you call to arg and get some explanations, they show you the biggest lack of transparency ever and just wait for you to hang up because your borred to hear them reread you tirelessly whats written on their stupid website.

If i can give you an advise : become jewish to increase your chances of being accepted in mcgill by 50% ;-)

What you said about Laval is interesting (the fact that they increase your R score of 0,5 point if you come from rural zones). And for once, you're partially right (the exception is when you say that it's discriminating). Laval is the only university in Canada recognizing that studying in rural zones prevents you from getting the R score that you deserve (the one you'ld get if you studied in a city like qc or mtl). Due to sampling errors, bright students see their R score decreased in these kinds or area, so Laval (a university with a much greater sens of equity than mcgill) fixes the problem.

Sorry for being direct, but I just don't like when people say things without backups.

Have a nice day!

PS : mcgill even ask you if your jewish in their interview!

PPS : I don't really care about what any mtl's journalist can think of that, cause I and many bright students are gonna be great doctors to the pride of Laval after mcgill sadly spat on us...

I know 3 Arab Muslims who were admitted to McGill (2 declined.

Docteur_Café est clairement un troll frustré qui s'est vu refusé une place à McGill, avec sa cote r de 35,5 , il se croyait déjà assuré d'une place... mais non, il ne se voit même pas invité aux entrevues... déception... colère...

Puis, il lui vient à l'idée toutes sortes de généralisations et de faussetés qu'il énonce sur un forum de discussion sous le couvert de l'anonymat pour soulager sa colère refoulée...

Je ne vais que te souhaiter de maturer un peu...

Didn't he say somewhere in his rants that they didn't call him back for an interview even though he was so extraordinary?!? :rolleyes:

McGill has the MMI just like the French schools, religion or language has absolutely nothing to do with it. He should just get over it and stop spewing hate towards McGill.

The «you» used here, as you may guess, refers to many people who replied to my posts. Sorry for all the parenthesis.

Guys, I respect your belief that mcgill so perfect and Laval so evil, but please, stop overreacting... you just look like a bunch of condescendent frustrated montrealers trying to convince themselves that they are better than others. You put words in my mouth, then you say I'm wrong, then you find yourself so cool and all... maybe it's the wrong place to do this, please, try to be objective.

Just to clarify somthing, I went to mcgill's interview (so I know what i'm talking about) and following that ive been refused (not even on the waiting list), and at the same time I have been admitted among the first ones at Laval, montreal and sherbrooke... Does this make sens? i already know you'll say yes... anyhow, i got friends in a similar situation, friends that are (in my opinion) way more «complete» (your favourite adjective) people than I am, with much higher R score than mine (over 37 (but wait!!! I know it doesn't mean anything, you told me hundred times)). These friends put much more time than me on they MedOAS files and all and were not invited to the interview.

Other interesting fact : 25% (maybe more) of mcgill interviewed candidates were pure anglophones. But wait.... are there 25% of english speaking people in the province of québec???? oh i'm sure you guys got plenty of mcgill's perfect website' copy/pasted answers to explain this!

So maybe everything i wrote here COULD be considered as one of several reasons that motivated my first post on this thread, which caused more reaction than expected (my apologies to the person who started the thread).

PS : remember the station at the computer, with the countryless woman...

PPS : Even if you think so, i'm not frustrated at all, or at least i'm less frustrated than you... I think i'm an IMPERFECT well balanced and happy student :-)

An interviewer asked you if you were Jewish or not?

not in these words, but it doesn't take a PhD to understand the point (or at least one of them) of the station at the computer concerning the countryless woman (people who were at the interview on the same date as me should understand what i'm talking about).

however, i know they're gonna say i understood absolutely nothing and blablabla....

edit : (I can send you a pm if you want more precisions, even if it might be complicated due to my quite bad english)

It's difficult to make a good point if you don't provide an explanation, but whatever. McGill is not supposed to ask personal questions like that, but they did, because they're stupid, right? Also it just so happens that not everyone was asked about their religious beliefs (I also went to the interviews), which doesn't make sense.

Exactly, maybe you weren't on the same date as me, but if it really mattered to them they would ask everyone. I don't see where we're bashing laval here, I'm pretty sure most of us applied there too...

Perhaps you simply misunderstood the question, especially if you were prejudiced towards the school. Nothing wrong with that, but maybe you didn't get top marks on that station either because you misunderstood the point.

En passant je me souviens de la station à l'ordinateur et je n'ai pas vu le moindre lien avec le fait que je sois juive ou non =/ Je ne dis pas que je l'ai beaucoup aimé, mais je n'ai pas vu de lien avec mon origine culturelle ou religieuse.

Et bon, moi aussi j'ai été fâchée d'être refusée par McGill. Mais j'ai quand même été acceptée ailleurs (toi aussi d'ailleurs) et c'est ça l'important! Je ne pense pas qu'ils ont un système d'admission injuste, mais si c'est le cas, bah, tant pis pour eux. On sera tout aussi bien ailleurs puisque toutes les universités sont bonnes =)

En passant je me souviens de la station à l'ordinateur et je n'ai pas vu le moindre lien avec le fait que je sois juive ou non =/ Je ne dis pas que je l'ai beaucoup aimé, mais je n'ai pas vu de lien avec mon origine culturelle ou religieuse.

Et bon, moi aussi j'ai été fâchée d'être refusée par McGill. Mais j'ai quand même été acceptée ailleurs (toi aussi d'ailleurs) et c'est ça l'important! Je ne pense pas qu'ils ont un système d'admission injuste, mais si c'est le cas, bah, tant pis pour eux. On sera tout aussi bien ailleurs puisque toutes les universités sont bonnes =)

Comme tu dis... tant pis pour eux!

It's difficult to make a good point if you don't provide an explanation, but whatever. McGill is not supposed to ask personal questions like that, but they did, because they're stupid, right? Also it just so happens that not everyone was asked about their religious beliefs (I also went to the interviews), which doesn't make sense.

This is amusing because, at my UdeM interview, one of the actors directly asked me if I was a homosexual. Granted the station involved discussing a man's anger at the fact that his son was gay. I thought this was extremely inappropriate.

I was never asked if I was Jewish at the McGill interview, directly or indirectly. What was stressed was being accepting and non-judgmental of others, and their lifestyles/religions and cultural beliefs. The experience was far more enjoyable, from my personal perspective.

This is amusing because, at my UdeM interview, one of the actors directly asked me if I was a homosexual. Granted the station involved discussing a man's anger at the fact that his son was gay. I thought this was extremely inappropriate.

I was never asked if I was Jewish at the McGill interview, directly or indirectly. What was stressed was being accepting and non-judgmental of others, and their lifestyles/religions and cultural beliefs. The experience was far more enjoyable, from my personal perspective.

Really?!? Wow. I had the other sets of stations where a guy is having a kid with your sister and he tells you he fell for someone at work, another guy. I agree it sounds inappropriate, wonder if the actor just messed up?

McGill is an amazing school of diversity. I'm very glad I got to do my UG there even though I decided to pursue medicine only at UdeM (mostly because I wanted to study in French and let's face it - all 4 schools have good programs).

There is no perfect admission process, seriously, let’s face it, don’t you each know someone who had excellent grades, personality and volunteering experiences and who didn’t get accepted? Not only at mcgill, everywhere, even at Udem, laval and sherbrooke.

Everybody thinks that mcgill prefers jews or anglophones because a lot of people with excellent files get rejected before the interview. It’s not because those good people do not respect some cultural ceriterias, it’s because abstracts are not good enough to show that they’re actually good candidates. For example, I did not get an invite and I had a very high CRC (with another girl I know who had an excellent R-score as well); we also had excellent CVs and were ones of the very very few people who got bursaries (the highest one) from our cegep for the exceptional volunteering experiences and grades we had, while so many other students got accepted everywhere and didn’t have an excellent CV or grades didn't get anything. That doesn’t mean we don’t deserve to get in, and not being invited is not an insult at all and it doesn’t mean that accepted students are not qualified, but let’s face it, abstracts are subjective because they do not expose the whole personality and CV, and believe me, I know many invited students who did not even write their abstracts (not even their QAS). And each university have some imperfection in its selection process. Laval for example asks candidates to submit a QAS, that could seem excellent to someone and not good enough to another. And even if I’m going to UdeM, I think that asking for a CV (not necessarily explanations, recommendations or anything, only a list with work, volunteering, etc experiences) is important to make better decisions; so even if their process seem simple and fair (only grades and interviews), some very committed people who really deserve to expose their many experiences get rejected because they did not perform really well at the interviews (bad day or something). For Sherbrooke, some wonderful people get a really bad grade at the TAAMUS while they have no apparent obsessive behaviour that could prevent them from becoming excellent doctors. By the way, some people say that evaluators at mcgill are really rude and disrespectful while others seem to see that French ones ask some very personal and insulting questions. So once again, it really depends on which person you had.

Every year, so many students suffer from those imperfections while they’re more qualified than many other people who get accepted somewhere. There is no perfect system, and seriously, it’s only the beginning for us, if someone would have preferred another university, he can go to it in the future to do his residency, or to work there. If someone thinks he was a victim of injustice, well he may know that life is not always fair. So enjoy all your acceptance and stop insulting each other. ;)

De toute façon, c'est bien que chaque université évalue les candidats de façon légèrement différente.

Imaginer si les 100 meilleurs candidats de McGill sont exactement les mêmes que les 100 meilleures candidats de Montréal, Laval et Sherbooke et en plus dans le même ordre !

Là, les candidats vont se plaindre encore plus.

Le QAS de Laval, le TAAMUS de Sherbooke et la biographie et les lettres de recommandation de McGill les permettent de se différencier des uns aux autres.

Les médecins sont exposés à toutes sortes de situations difficiles (préjugés, pauvreté, drogué ...) c'est normal qu'on veut savoir si les candidats ont la capacité de "dealer" avec les situations difficiles.

Donc, il ne faut pas trop en vouloir aux interviewers de vous avoir un peu brassé ;)

Archived