Premed 101 Forums

Cure for HIV

Minion

Agreed, but good news is good. We could even see an actual cure for HIV in our lifetime:)

Very true that good news is good. But it is a possible cure, like many, many others currently being explored. When I read "cure" in the title, I expected you meant a tested and true cure for HIV. Just as Mith said, it was a bit misleading.

Nonetheless, what I'm saying is not meant to take away from the research.

Thank you very much for sharing. Like I said, very exciting research :)

a pound of cure is worth an ounce of prevention.. lol

Cheers' date='

ABS[/quote']

Ahhhh prevention and HIV...

So simple and effective in theory (i.e. abstain sex, be faithful to one partner or have few partners, use condoms, etc.) but so difficult to enforce.

Comprehensive sex education is the best we can do, right. But the obstacles associated with preventing HIV transmission are quite large.

Ahhhh prevention and HIV...

So simple and effective in theory (i.e. abstain sex, be faithful to one partner or have few partners, use condoms, etc.) but so difficult to enforce.

Comprehensive sex education is the best we can do, right. But the obstacles associated with preventing HIV transmission are quite large.

Yep - after only a year of volunteering at a sexual health clinic it's apparent that condoms aren't used nearly enough.

As for the original post - awesome to see any breakthroughs at all.

No idea why so many people find it so challenging to use a condom, even in the developed world.

Intriguing article for a lot of reasons, but I have my doubts at this stage that a viral vector could be adapted into a clinically useful and economical cure for HIV. Remember that to treat the vast majority of HIV sufferers, the cure would have to be something that Africa could afford. Viral vectors don't strike me as something that could reach that target cost, nor even hit within three magnitudes of it. If it's an expensive cure available in the industrialised world then great, but it's not really helping the majority of people who need it.

No idea why so many people find it so challenging to use a condom, even in the developed world.

Intriguing article for a lot of reasons, but I have my doubts at this stage that a viral vector could be adapted into a clinically useful and economical cure for HIV. Remember that to treat the vast majority of HIV sufferers, the cure would have to be something that Africa could afford. Viral vectors don't strike me as something that could reach that target cost, nor even hit within three magnitudes of it. If it's an expensive cure available in the industrialised world then great, but it's not really helping the majority of people who need it.

My thoughts as well, Erk. You raise a really good point.

Unacceptable or not its likely the real answer here in North America and other developed countries. Education won't solve the issue either.

I'm not so sure. I think the majority of these cases occur because when stuff is happening, people may not always have a condom kicking around. I think alot of poeple aren't gonna let something like that get in the way. Although, there are still a fair amount of people who will not use it just because it feels better that way. Education will allow people to make a well-informed choice. Ultimately, they still have to make that choice.

I'm not so sure. I think the majority of these cases occur because when stuff is happening, people may not always have a condom kicking around. I think alot of poeple aren't gonna let something like that get in the way. Although, there are still a fair amount of people who will not use it just because it feels better that way. Education will allow people to make a well-informed choice. Ultimately, they still have to make that choice.

How how much more education is required do you think? If there's a person alive in developed countries that doesnt undersrand the risks i'd be shocked. Its everywhere and has been for what? 25 years now?

How how much more education is required do you think? If there's a person alive in developed countries that doesnt undersrand the risks i'd be shocked. Its everywhere and has been for what? 25 years now?

Perhaps I was a little unclear, but that was exactly my point. It doesn't matter how much education you have, everybody still has to make the decision to have protected or unprotected sex. Many choose the latter one even though the know the consequences.

Archived