Premed 101 Forums

Trying to Understand the Whole Process

Thanks for checking out my thread. Hopefully you guys can help me out!

First of all, I think I should give you a little background information.

I am a student in Southern Ontario entering my last year of high school. I have volunteered for several different organizations, including Special Olympics Canada. I also have participated in sports both in and outside of school. I'm also fluent in french and will be graduating with a dual diploma (one in enligsh, one in french). The average grade for my top six classes is an 88, with Biology, Chemistry and Physics being 85,90 and 88 respectively.

I have a few questions about studying abroad in Europe:

#1) What is the actual process to become a doctor in Europe?(I know that it's not exactly the same as the 4-year undergrad/4-year med-school method here in Canada and in the U.S) ie. I've heard of three year bachelor programs for biology or other courses, but, i've also heard of 5/6 year programs available directly after high school in the U.K

#2) In what countries do I need to pass an official language test? I am aware that the U.K, France and Germany require this (the first two not being a problem) What other countries have this?

#3) What are my options after I become a doctor in Europe? Can I practise in a foreign language country (aka not in the U.K) as an english doctor? How about coming back to Canada?

#4) Are my grades good enough to be accepted in Europe? What are my chances in North America?

PS: I've pretty much narrowed down my options country-wise to the U.K, Ireland, France, the Netherlands, Germany or Spain, but if you've got other recommendations let me hear them! If you've studied or are studying in any of these countries let me know their differences.

Sorry about the long thread guys, I've looked all over and done some research but I still don't get the whole picture. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

In short, obtaining residency/internship is always a problem if you are not a citizen of the country where you study medicine in. It seems like you are choosing to study abroad mainly to graduate earlier and to avoid the whole north american process, which can be long and uncertain. You have to ask yourself this - are you ok being a physician in limited specialities upon graduation? You maybe too young to understand this, but medicine is a whole different world. There are so many opportunities and specialties to choose from, and you really won't know what you want to specialize in until you're actually in medical school. Right now you will probably say you are fine being a family physician or just GP. The worst thing that can happen to med graduates is to be stuck in a specialty that they hate. You'll be in so much debt already that you have really no choice but to continue. Life sucks when your career becomes grunt work because you have no passion for it. And the thing is, the above scenario is already pretty ideal because that means you are successful in obtaining an internship/residency. Many fail to even secure a place at all.

You've already had some decent extracurriculars in highschool so that gives you a headstart. If you work hard in university, I'm sure you'll get in somewhere in Canada. You might need more than 1 try, but it's worth it in the end.

In short, obtaining residency/internship is always a problem if you are not a citizen of the country where you study medicine in. It seems like you are choosing to study abroad mainly to graduate earlier and to avoid the whole north american process, which can be long and uncertain. You have to ask yourself this - are you ok being a physician in limited specialities upon graduation? You maybe too young to understand this, but medicine is a whole different world. There are so many opportunities and specialties to choose from, and you really won't know what you want to specialize in until you're actually in medical school. Right now you will probably say you are fine being a family physician or just GP. The worst thing that can happen to med graduates is to be stuck in a specialty that they hate. You'll be in so much debt already that you have really no choice but to continue. Life sucks when your career becomes grunt work because you have no passion for it. And the thing is, the above scenario is already pretty ideal because that means you are successful in obtaining an internship/residency. Many fail to even secure a place at all.

You've already had some decent extracurriculars in highschool so that gives you a headstart. If you work hard in university, I'm sure you'll get in somewhere in Canada. You might need more than 1 try, but it's worth it in the end.

+1

this is helpful to me. tnx!

Archived