Premed 101 Forums

Sunnybrook lockers/changerooms/showers

Hey all,

I'm going to be at Sunnybrook for my first three rotations. Right now I am waiting to hear from someone at the first rotation about my schedule and I figure when I hear from them I will get all the details. That said, I am impatient enough to hope someone here can fill me in on some things to help with my planning:

1)Will it be possible to have a locker there?

2)Are there any change rooms/shower facilities made available to clerks (aside from in call rooms)?

3)When on a rotation that doesn't usually require call (e.g. emerg), is it possible to have call room access in the case of say finishing a shift at 3am and starting the next shift at 8am and wanting to go sleep on-site instead of going home in between?

(if you are wondering, I'm a motorcyclist commuting from North of Toronto and having these facilities, while not necessary, will make my life a bit easier).

1 - yes, lockers are available, but they tend to be far from the main clinical areas, including emerg

2 - change rooms exist, with lockers in them. I'm not sure if you'd be able to find a shower, but probably.

3 - I don't think you'll have any shifts that close together, but if you do, there are occasional overflow call rooms. You'll probably have to go through security on a case-by-case basis to get them.

1 - yes, lockers are available, but they tend to be far from the main clinical areas, including emerg

2 - change rooms exist, with lockers in them. I'm not sure if you'd be able to find a shower, but probably.

3 - I don't think you'll have any shifts that close together, but if you do, there are occasional overflow call rooms. You'll probably have to go through security on a case-by-case basis to get them.

Thanks, Cheech. :-)

• 4 months later...

Old post, but just in case others stumble upon this...

2 - Showers are up on the same wing and floor as most of the call rooms. Just swing by the public looking wash room near the call rooms. For men it is near the elevator. This wash room has a shower. Pretty sure it is rarely if ever used on a routine basis.

3 - I did several night shifts in the ED and never had a chance or needed to get a call room. If you must need a call room just speak to the MedEd office during business hours. They might be able to hook you up. After hours you gotta go through security. In terms of unusual call room requests, it was more common for some people to ask for a call room in the AM after finishing up. This was especially true if one didn't sleep for 30 hrs or something and needed to drive. I think this is usually accommodated if one was available. Heads up though, cleaning staff swing by around noon.

Old post, but just in case others stumble upon this...

2 - Showers are up on the same wing and floor as most of the call rooms. Just swing by the public looking wash room near the call rooms. For men it is near the elevator. This wash room has a shower. Pretty sure it is rarely if ever used.

3 - I did several night shifts in the ED and never had a chance or needed to get a call room. If you must need a call room just speak to the MedEd office during business hours. They might be able to hook you up. After hours you gotta go through security.

haha. Yes, thanks. I've completed three core rotations since that post, all at Sunnybrook. I got to know the call rooms and showers well. :)

Archived