Premed 101 Forums

Northern Medical Program

Is it disadvantageous to not indicate interest in the northern medical program? In other words, do people who indicate an interest have a higher chance of getting an acceptance than people who don't because they are eligible for many of the other seats outside of the Vancouver campus? Or, is this something that is only looked at after the adcoms have made their decision on who to accept?

Thanks!

This is an interesting question, because answers can only come from what we *think* is true.

Here's what I think.

The RRSS (rural remote suitability score) is a pass/fail. So they either judge you to be suitable or not for the NMP.

It does not determine whether or not you get an interview.

It should not determine whether or not you gain an acceptance.

HOWEVER

I you are the 288th ranked person post interview, and you have not indicated NMP as a choice (or you weren't deemed remote/rural suitable), and the only spot left is NMP, then it will go to the 289th person.

This could be totally wrong, of course.

Do you think you may have an interest in NMP? Would you be happy being there? If the answer is yes, fill out the section, because it's not binding. :)

I thought last year was the first year where they wouldn't skip people due to there choices, but would instead ask them if they'd be willing to go into the last spot available. I could be wrong to. The best way to ask would ask what would happen if all your choices were filled but there was one spot remaining elsewhere. Then ask would this matter what the location was.

They may try to dance around the question but its worth asking.

I doubt it would be dissadvantageous though because a few people who I talked to stated they didn't want to make it advantageous to choose PG. Otherwise people would just to get in. Also keep in mind that NMP is specifically designed for rural so it would be hard to match in the CARMs to anything different.

Based on what I know, kylamonkey is right. You have the same shot at the VFMP/IMP/SMP no matter what your interest in the NMP.

If you aren't interested in studying in Prince George or practicing in a northern/rural area, then don't check the NMP box (hopefully this part is obvious to all :))

Thanks all. I should've asked the admissions team earlier to clarify...oh well...I guess it comes down to if you have anything to add in that section - if you do then you might as well (given that you are interested in rural med ofcourse :) )...It's quite specific in terms of what they're looking for.

This year was the first year Ubc said they would not skip over people, but would instead rank everybody and then just go through the list offering spots in your top 2 until they reached a person whose top 2 were filled. They would then offer a different spot even if they didn't rank it. Not sure of this will continue, but if you make it to the interview stage you can always ask them.

As for choosing nmp or not... Only do it if you could see yourself living rural for 4+ years and enjoying it. The idea behind nmp was to have rural doctors for rural areas... Otherwise they would have just added 32 seats to vfmp.

If you want nmp then submit the form... If not, don't worry about it. It won't swing the odds in your favor that much.

This is an interesting question, because answers can only come from what we *think* is true.

Here's what I think.

The RRSS (rural remote suitability score) is a pass/fail. So they either judge you to be suitable or not for the NMP.

It does not determine whether or not you get an interview.

It should not determine whether or not you gain an acceptance.

HOWEVER

I you are the 288th ranked person post interview, and you have not indicated NMP as a choice (or you weren't deemed remote/rural suitable), and the only spot left is NMP, then it will go to the 289th person.

Do you think you may have an interest in NMP? Would you be happy being there? If the answer is yes, fill out the section, because it's not binding. :)

This makes sense to me.

I doubt it would be dissadvantageous though because a few people who I talked to stated they didn't want to make it advantageous to choose PG. Otherwise people would just to get in. Also keep in mind that NMP is specifically designed for rural so it would be hard to match in the CARMs to anything different.

Just a quick note: I think that people in the NMP don't have a problem matching into non-rural residencies. I don't know about NMP, but I know NOSM grads matched really well, and I might be mistaken but some of them even got into some VERY competitive residencies. I think one from NOSM's 1st grad class got the single derm spot at McGill?

A couple of things to add...

I think filling out the rural suitability form can be binding because the adcom may put you in the NMP even if you don't end up picking it as a site preference. Perhaps this only happens if they are short of suitable rural candidates; it's hard to say - site allocation is subjectively up to the adcom.

Secondly, the NMP isn't exclusively meant to produce rural GPs. I understand that NMP students have a great history of matching to a variety of specialties through CARMS.

Anyway, you get accepted and then assigned to a site, so filling out this form won't make a difference in terms of getting in to UBC.

I think filling out the rural suitability form can be binding because the adcom may put you in the NMP even if you don't end up picking it as a site preference. Perhaps this only happens if they are short of suitable rural candidates; it's hard to say - site allocation is subjectively up to the adcom.

Playing Devil's advocate...

So would you rather be offered an NMP spot on May 13th, or placed on the waitlist, and subsequently offered your 3rd choice (let's say SMP) in early July, having spent several weeks on the waitlist?

I guess it's tough for me to say since I would love to be in PG, but then again I'm the girl who moved to Whitehorse. :D

Playing Devil's advocate...

So would you rather be offered an NMP spot on May 13th, or placed on the waitlist, and subsequently offered your 3rd choice (let's say SMP) in early July, having spent several weeks on the waitlist?

I guess it's tough for me to say since I would love to be in PG, but then again I'm the girl who moved to Whitehorse. :D

Hope you can remain there when the temperature will reach -30 in November.

HOWEVER

I don't think this is true. They did offer people spots that were NOT their first or second choice so I don't think it would make a difference in the chances of admission.

This past cycle at the interview, they also mentioned that if you had not previously filled out the rural section but find yourself a suitable candidate based on what you learn from the site presentations you can email them and they will open that part of the application to you.

I don't think this is true. They did offer people spots that were NOT their first or second choice so I don't think it would make a difference in the chances of admission.

This past cycle at the interview, they also mentioned that if you had not previously filled out the rural section but find yourself a suitable candidate based on what you learn from the site presentations you can email them and they will open that part of the application to you.

Top 288 applicants are offered a spot regardless of their first or second choice.

This was the first year where the top 288 got a spot regardless of site preference. Previous years they would pass over if you didn't have an available site on your list.

Not sure if they will go back to the old way or stick with the new system, but 90% of applicants get there first choice anyways... At least that's what I remember from the interview weekend.

1. NMP grads matched 100 percent last year in the first round. This included derm, ophtho, anesthesia X 2, gen surg X 3 etc... Worry about getting into med not carms.

2. It is not -30 in November, probably in January though. The med school and hospital are inside and heated.

3. Don't rank the NMP if you don't want to live in the north. You will be miserable.

All the best.

Shaka

Archived