Premed 101 Forums

Organic chemistry in medical school

precision

How much organic chemistry do you learn in medical school? (it may be different for individual medical schools) What I'm asking is, do you learn a lot more than the average 1 full year course equivalent of undergraduate science organic chemistry course? On the medical school websites I visited, I don't even see any "organic chemistry" courses in the curriculum. I only see Pharmacology with very little lecture hours (so you don't learn a lot of new information.)

This makes me less motivated to spend more than the average time studying organic chemistry in undergrad. In fact, the MCAT has very little organic chemistry content and will be even less after 2014. http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2011/4/11/students-mcat-new-more/

Organic chemistry as far as reactions go... not useful.

Understanding how things work in the sense of polarity, solubility etc. Much more important.

Organic chemistry is important in understanding certain biochemical processes etc. But... generally Organic is useless.

In France they cover organic chemistry in their first year since they get into med right out of high school. In North America, orgo has already been covered in undergrad or cegep for Quebec students. However we are taught some biochemistry in med school but it's very basic and mostly focused on the major pathways (not on structure).

Archived