Premed 101 Forums

Reference letters with grammar mistakes

Hey guys,

I am applying for medical school this summer and am in the process of gathering my references. One of my references is my current supervisor and is a genius however, she is relatively new to the country and isn't the greatest at writing. She let me look at the letter she wrote after she sent it in and I noticed quite a few spelling/grammar mistakes. The content is good though and I was wondering if it would reflect poorly on myself if there are some mistakes. Let me know your thoughts please.

I think it's not a big problem as long as she is a credible person and her credentials were clearly stated in the letter. I think most people understand some professors, TAs or instructors are not perfectly fluent in English.

by the way, I thought those were confidential letters, and you are not suppose to look at them???

Another possible problem is that I work at a huge corporation and it is against their policy to use their letterhead for personal recommendation letters. So it doesn't look all that official. She attached a note at the bottom to say that she can't use the letterhead. She also listed her position within the company and a lot of contact information but at first glance the letter doesn't look too professional. Do you think that may be a problem?

Pretty sure one of my reference letters had a whole bunch of grammar and spelling mistakes in it. Not that I saw it, but it was from some who really can't write a sentence without any typos, so it's a safe bet (and English is this person's first and only language, too).

Must have been a research professor? Lol

I would like to think that it shouldn't matter and in a perfect world it wouldn't, but you never know what the individuals reading letters are thinking. Unfortunately, compared side-by-side with a similar but grammatically correct letter, you might be at a disadvantage in the real world.

If you spoke to the referee and offered your help I don't think they would be offended. Tell them you appreciate their work and understand that writing such an important letter is a tough job, and you are willing to help anyway you can. Basically, don't directly bring up the fact that their English is a bit subpar! ;)

Another possible problem is that I work at a huge corporation and it is against their policy to use their letterhead for personal recommendation letters. So it doesn't look all that official. She attached a note at the bottom to say that she can't use the letterhead. She also listed her position within the company and a lot of contact information but at first glance the letter doesn't look too professional. Do you think that may be a problem?

I don't think it matters. One of my references is my supervisor/the head coach at the rink. The clubs "official" letter head is..... good ol' regular paper. Not everyone people will be getting a reference from will have their own personal letterhead, so I wouldn't worry. There's not much you can do about it anyways.

Archived