Premed 101 Forums

What's the use of the Med-P year?

Robin Hood

I read about Med-P course list, and it's not related to medecine. You only have 2 required Bio courses and all the rest are electives. So, what's the purpose of this year? Is it useful or it was made so that more people fail and get kicked (because McGill really want to go get kick to increase the number of spots taken by university candidates because they assume you're not ready for medicine and thus, they have already failed you in their head)

Everywhere else in North America you get into medicine after an undergrad degree (in very rare cases after 2 years of university). CEGEP 2 = 1st year of university. Therefore, medp roughly corresponds to your second year. It's a year to expand your general knowledge and brush up a little on some fundamental biology. It won't make studying medicine easier, but you'll get to explore fields that you'll never have the chance to study again. Medp's purpose is not to fail people. Very few people get less than the required 3.5. Also, CEGEP students succed very well in medicine, and the government has a certain quota reserved to cegep students in every faculty of medicine. Therefore, McGill isn't trying to fail anyone with their medp.

Bio200 and 201 are the only mandatory classes for medp, it's true.

That being said, you'll learn a lot of basic sciences related to the first unit of the Basics of Medicine in both classes. For example, this morning we've reviewed material seen in Bio201 [Electron transport chain, ATP production] and tomorrow we have a 2 hours lecture on cell membranes/proteins membrane which was also seen in Bio201...

Do not forget that we have the chance to have histology classes (Anat261) that are super useful for the histology part of each units.

Do not forget that Physiology 209-210 are great intro classes to human physiology.

I've learnt a lot last year, one can't deny that. I feel more ready now than I was at the exact same date one year ago.

Bio200 and 201 are the only mandatory classes for medp, it's true.

That being said, you'll learn a lot of basic sciences related to the first unit of the Basics of Medicine in both classes. For example, this morning we've reviewed material seen in Bio201 [Electron transport chain, ATP production] and tomorrow we have a 2 hours lecture on cell membranes/proteins membrane which was also seen in Bio201...

Do not forget that we have the chance to have histology classes (Anat261) that are super useful for the histology part of each units.

Do not forget that Physiology 209-210 are great intro classes to human physiology.

I've learnt a lot last year, one can't deny that. I feel more ready now than I was at the exact same date one year ago.

I'm not disputing the presence of a preparatory year, but at UdeM, the year is related to the medical curriculum. I don't get what Math or Atmospheric Science courses can help you in your medical curriculum. I know that it's better to enrich people's knowledge, but a preaparatory year should prepare for Medicine. You can have a few elective courses.

I'm not disputing the presence of a preparatory year, but at UdeM, the year is related to the medical curriculum. I don't get what Math or Atmospheric Science courses can help you in your medical curriculum

Nobody took Atmospheric science and 5 persons took the math track...

McGill's medp CAN be 90% medical.

Bio200-201

Physio209-210

Anat261-Bio202(Genetics)

SOCI 225 Medicine&Health in Mod Society

HIST 249 Health&the Healer in West Hist

CHEM 183 : World of Chemistry : Drug (or any other elective class)

You have the freedom to choose ! Regarding to me, it's closely linked to the fact that graduates can do any undergrad they want, graduate in law, philosophy or even in history and still be able to get to medical school.

I read about Med-P course list, and it's not related to medecine. You only have 2 required Bio courses and all the rest are electives. So, what's the purpose of this year? Is it useful or it was made so that more people fail and get kicked (because McGill really want to go get kick to increase the number of spots taken by university candidates because they assume you're not ready for medicine and thus, they have already failed you in their head)

After you take a Med-P year and start Med-1, you'll understand. I learned so much in the Med-P year. If it wasn't there, I'd really have missed out on the important pre-req info, learning about the world through international development study courses, social sciences and humanities. Med-1 is intense... and to be honest, I dearly miss my Med-P year.

What do you mean by that? Do you mean udm prepares you better or udm has a better prep year?

Actually, I mean both. Because the prep year is geared to filling in the considerable gaps of the students to study medicine, it prepares you better while it is a better and more relevant year. And as this transitional year is intense, students are brought to the proper level of rigorous study.

McGill has an entirely different philo.sophy with their program.

Actually, I mean both. Because the prep year is geared to filling in the considerable gaps of the students to study medicine, it prepares you better while it is a better and more relevant year. And as this transitional year is intense, students are brought to the proper level of rigorous study.

McGill has an entirely different philo.sophy with their program.

Yes, at UdeM, people are prepared for the rigorous curriculum. The pre-med year is even harder than 1st year. I think UdeM wants to bring all students to the same appropriate level. But what seems to not be good with their year, is that it's only medicine-related, so people cannot enrich their personal culture. But it's still prepares more for medicine.

UdeM doesn't have much room for electives, you can only take 7 credits.

My understanding is that 1st year students must take a humanities course, for which an exemption can be received for a bac student who took such courses in UG, but not for the Cegepiens.

Check it out on the UdeM Forum - I am either right:) or wrong:mad: . There is no other option. :D

My understanding is that 1st year students must take a humanities course, for which an exemption can be received for a bac stgudent who took such courses in UG, but not for the Cegepiens.

Check it out on the UdeM Forum - I am either right:) or wrong:mad: . There is no other option. :D

But this course is part of the curriculum.

Most of what is covered in UDM's premed is covered at mcgill (sometimes more in depth, like anatomy, physiology, neurosciences, microbio) and at UDM in 1st/2nd year.

Really I am not a big fan of UDM's premed year. But that's my own biased opinion, and while I'm not a student at McGill nor UDM, I know both curricula quite well since I have friends who study there and I've seen there class notes/course outlines.

Another question: if someone gets less than a B in a course he should a B in or less than 3.5 of GPA, will he be automatically kicked out with no questions asked or they could grant exceptions (for exemple, to someone who get sick during the semester)?

Also, do teachers curve?

If you get, let's say, B- in Bio201, you're not automatically out. You have to write an explicative letter to a review committee and explain why you failed to attain the academic requirements.

As far as I know, you need worse than 1 B- to be kicked out.

The only thing that happens if you get one B- is that a committee will review your academic records. If you have a good overall record, there should be no problems, and a B is easily achievable, as long as you work as hard as you worked in Cegep to get accepted in medicine.

The Med-P year at McGill embraces the whole philosophy of the university toward Medicine : diversity is the key. They don't look only for traditional applicants. By having students coming from different background such as management, philosophy, music, neuroscience, anatomy, finance, law, it enriches the experience of the class, and make better physicians oriented toward helping patients, not only fighting diseases.

Having the opportunity to take computer science, mathematics and physics might not seem relevant to a pre-medical student, but medicine is a dynamic field of study, and with the new technologies in illness treatment and hospital management, it becomes relevant.

Archived