Premed 101 Forums

What do if employer refuses to pay?

LarryW21

Hey guys,

Basically I worked a very limited part-time job this summer for over a month

(I was busy with a lot of other stuff). I made around $1000. However, my employer has paid me less than half and still owes me $578. I emailed her several times asking for the money but got empty answers every time and eventually she got irritated and fired me. I was sort of an assistant to a businesswoman and handled all the little tasks and did research for her. What should I do? I still have a copy of our contract, all the emails sent back and forward and the cheques. I don't really want to hire a lawyer because it's not really a large sum of money, but it'll pay for my textbooks next year. Should I contact the Ontario Ministry of Labour? Anyone else have similar experiences?

Thank you for the feedback,

- Larry

Really? And if said employer still doesnt pay up?

They will then be fined! :) I operate always on the basis of:

Keep It Simple Stupid known as K.I.S.S.

Small Claims Court is far more time consuming and complicated. I had a friend who recently went to this Court, in Quebec, and it took a year and a half to actuallt get to Court. Finally, there was a 2 hour hearing in this small matter that involved $350. The Judge took four months to render a judgment - which was :eek: that she declined jurisdiction on a tiny point and the only recourse my firend had was to refile in another manner, and try to get jusdgment if she was lucky 2 years later. She decided not to waste her time further and ate the loss in the end.

Here, experienced beaurocrats who deal with these matters as a regular routine will deal with it fairly and far more quickly.

It is up to the OP to choose his poison. ;) I know what I would do. :) It is a no-brainer.

Moreover, it will be far easier to collect payment this route than by seeking to execute a judgment!

I (my company) recently went through small claims court to collect $2000 from a customer who didn't pay his bill. The unpaid bill was from 2007, and we were finally awarded the full amount of $2000, plus $40 for every hour we went to court (settlement hearing, went to court once and he wasn't ready although he claimed he was, blah blah blah). He will be paying us $50/month until he has repaid the full amount.

It doesn't sound like too much fun, but I approached it as a learning experience where I got to see how the court system "worked". ;) If I ever have to go to court again, I'll have a bit of a better understanding of the process. :)

something tells me if they're screwing you they're breaking some other labor laws, people usually don't like to get investigated for 500 dollars, so just threaten them. when my first job refused to give me my last check i reminded them that as non contract managers each of their shift managers we're actually entitled to be paid for the half an hour prep and close before and after shifts and that they can be forced to retroactively pay up to 6 months at all 4 locations they owned.

thats: 5 full time shifts per week * 1 hour * 8 managers * 26 weeks * 11 dollars * 4 stores = over 40 g...

needless to say i got my check the next day... just call up the labor hotline, they deal with stuff like this all the time

Hey guys,

Basically I worked a very limited part-time job this summer for over a month

(I was busy with a lot of other stuff). I made around $1000. However, my employer has paid me less than half and still owes me $578. I emailed her several times asking for the money but got empty answers every time and eventually she got irritated and fired me. I was sort of an assistant to a businesswoman and handled all the little tasks and did research for her. What should I do? I still have a copy of our contract, all the emails sent back and forward and the cheques. I don't really want to hire a lawyer because it's not really a large sum of money, but it'll pay for my textbooks next year. Should I contact the Ontario Ministry of Labour? Anyone else have similar experiences?

Thank you for the feedback,

- Larry

Archived