Premed 101 Forums

Quote of the day

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cautious, careful people, always casting about to preserve their reputation and social standing, never can bring about a reform. Those who are really in earnest must be willing to be anything or nothing in the world's estimation, and publicly and privately, in season and out, avow their sympathy with despised and persecuted ideas and their advocates, and bear the consequences.

- Susan B. Anthony

True courage is not the absence of fear—but the willingness to proceed in spite of it.

- anonymous

Everyday courage has few witnesses. But yours is no less noble because no drum beats for you and no crowds shout your name.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

One man with courage makes a majority.

- Andrew Jackson

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

- Plato

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

- Martin Luther King Jr

“Find out just what people will quietly submit to, and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them, and these will continue till they are resisted with either words or blows. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.”

- Frederick Douglass, African-American slave, and later abolitionist

“A time comes when silence is betrayal.”

- Rev. Martin Luther King

“When a cause comes along and you know in your bones that it is just, yet refuse to defend it—at that moment you begin to die. And I have never seen so many corpses walking around talking about justice.”

- Mumia Abu-Jamal

“When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.”

- William Blake

“The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.”

- Albert Einstein

“I swore never to be silent whenever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.”

- Elie Weisel

“In Germany they came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade-unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade-unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me and by that time no one was left to speak up.”

- Attributed to Rev. Martin Niemoller

“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.”

- Edmund Burke

“The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men.”

- Plato

“The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”

- Albert Einstein

Archived