Premed 101 Forums

Quote of the day

Your actions are your responsibility and can't be changed.

I think... I was never a good interpreter of any literature. Sometimes poetry will remind me of certain moments in my life, but mean something 100% different

Yes, that's a fair interpretation. In general, it's basically that you can't take back something that's been done.

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Fall seven times, stand up eight."

- Japanese Proverb

"It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer."

- Albert Einstein

"If you are going through hell, keep going."

- Winston Churchill

"Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before."

- Jacob A. Riis

"We can do anything we want to do if we stick to it long enough."

- Helen Keller

"A jug fills drop by drop."

- Buddha

"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they’ve got a second."

- William James

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time."

- Thomas A. Edison

"People of mediocre ability sometimes achieve outstanding success because they don't know when to quit. Most men succeed because they are determined to."

- George Allen

"The man who can drive himself further once the effort gets painful is the man who will win."

- Roger Bannister

"One man has enthusiasm for 30 minutes, another for 30 days, but it is the man who has it for 30 years who makes a success of his life."

- Edward B. Butler

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable."

- Thomas Foxwell Buxton

"Life is n ot easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and above all confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something, and that this thing, at whatever cost, must be attained."

- Marie Curie

Only a life lived for others is a life worth while.

“We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.”

“I have no particular talent. I am merely inquisitive.”

“It's not that I'm so smart , it's just that I stay with problems longer.”

“We still do not know one thousandth of one percent of what nature has revealed to us.”

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”

"Would you like me to give you a formula for success? It's quite simple, really. Double your rate of failure. You are thinking of failure as the enemy of success. But it isn't at all. You can be discouraged by failure or you can learn from it, So go ahead and make mistakes. Make all you can. Because remember that's where you will find success."

- Thomas J. Watson

"A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres, and infallibly prevails at last."

- Lord Chesterfield

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."

- General Dwight Eisenhower

"Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish."

- John Quincy Adams

"I do not think there is any other quality so essential to success of any kind as the quality of perseverance. It overcomes almost everything, even nature."

- John D. Rockefeller

“Everybody can be great. Because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't have to make your subject and your verb agree to serve.... You don't have to know the second theory of thermodynamics in physics to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love. ”

- Martin Luther King, Jr.

“The life I touch for good or ill will touch another life, and that in turn another, until who knows where the trembling stops or in what far place my touch will be felt.”

- Frederick Buechner (born 1926)

“When a person is down in the world, an ounce of help is better than a pound of preaching.”

- Edward G. Bulwer-Lytton (1803-1873)

“To me it seems that to give happiness is a far nobler goal that to attain it: and that what we exist for is much more a matter of relations to others than a matter of individual progress: much more a matter of helping others to heaven than of getting there ourselves.”

- Lewis Carroll [Charles Lutwidge Dodgson] (1832-1898)

“If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain; If I can ease one life the aching, Or cool one pain, Or help one fainting robin Up to his nest again, I shall not live in vain.”

- Emily ****inson (1830-1886);

“In helping others, we shall help ourselves, for whatever good we give out completes the circle and comes back to us.”

- Flora Edwards

“It is one of the most beautiful compensations of life, that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself.”

- Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882);

“Let not the tie be mercenary, though the service is measured in money. Make yourself necessary to somebody. Do not make life hard to any.”

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

“The true essence of humankind is kindness. There are other qualities which come from education or knowledge, but it is essential, if one wishes to be a genuine human being and impart satisfying meaning to one's existence, to have a good heart.”

- Tenzin Gyatso (born 1935), The 14th Dalai Lama

“Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.”

- Tenzin Gyatso (born 1935), The 14th Dalai Lama

“Life's most urgent question is: What are you doing for others?”

- Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-1968)

“Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day.”

- Sally Koch

“You will find that the mere resolve not to be useless, and the honest desire to help other people, will, in the quickest and delicatest ways, improve yourself.”

- John Ruskin (1819-1900)

“At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us.”

- Albert Schweitzer (1875-1965)

“Wherever a man turns he can find someone who needs him.”

- Albert Schweitzer

“The only people with whom you should try to get even are those who have helped you.”

- John E. Southard

“The trouble is that rich people, well-to-do people, very often don't really know who the poor are; and that is why we can forgive them, for knowledge can only lead to love, and love to service. And so, if they are not touched by them, it's because they do not know them.”

- Mother Teresa (1910-1997)

“Every good act is charity. A man's true wealth hereafter is the good that he does in this world to his fellows.”

- Mohammed

“I know of no great men except those who have rendered great service to the human race.”

- Voltaire (1694-1778)

“The greatest virtues are those which are most useful to other persons.”

- Aristotle (384-322)

“Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do.”

- Voltaire (1694-1778)

“If you will think about what you ought to do for other people, your character will take care of itself. Character is a by-product, and any man who devotes himself to its cultivation in his own case will become a selfish prig.”

- Woodrow Wilson (1856-1924), 28th U.S. President

“An essential part of a happy, healthy life is being of service to others. ”

- Susan Patton Thoele

“You will rise by lifting others.”

- Robert G. Ingersoll (1833-1899)

“We are prone to judge success by the index of our salaries or the size of our automobiles, rather than by the quality of our service and relationship to humanity. ”

- Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-1968);

“If you want happiness for an hour, take a nap. If you want happiness for a day, go fishing. If you want happiness for a year, inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime, help somebody.”

- Chinese Proverb

“Believe, when you are most unhappy, that there is something for you to do in the world. So long as you can sweeten another's pain, life is not in vain.”

- Helen Keller (1880-1968)

“Condemn none: if you can stretch out a helping hand, do so. If you cannot, fold your hands, bless your brothers, and let them go their own way.”

- Swami Vivekananda (1863-1902)

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther (1907-1970)

“As my mother says, “You give back, you don’t give up.” You can always choose to help others. If you do, it will change you.”

- Susan Ford (born 1957)

“Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible.”

- Charles ****ens (1812-1870)

“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi (1869-1948)

"All you have shall some day be given;

Therefore give now, that the season of giving

may be yours and not your inheritors."

- Kahlil Gibran

“Smile at each other, smile at your wife, smile at your husband, smile at your children, smile at each other -- it doesn't matter who it is -- and that will help you to grow up in greater love for each other.”

- Mother Teresa

A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit.

- D. Elton Trueblood

That best portion of a good man's life; his little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and love.

- William Wordsworth

"You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give."

- Kahlil Gibran

No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.

- Aesop

The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands.

- Robert M. Pirsig

“You cannot do a kindness too soon because you never know how soon it will be too late.”

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived