Premed 101 Forums

Quote of the day

“You cannot do a kindness too soon because you never know how soon it will be too late.”

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

“By the accident of fortune

a man may rule the world for a time,

but by virtue of love and kindness

he may rule the world forever.”

- Lao-Tse

It is not only for what we do that we are held responsible, but also for what we do not do.

- Moliere

So long as we love we serve;

So long as we are loved by others,

I would almost say that we are indispensable;

And no one is useless while they have a friend.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

- Buddha

Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree.

- Martin Luther

Be not forgetful to entertain strangers for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

- Hebrews 13:2

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is one of the most beautiful compensations of this life that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

From what we get, we can make a living;

what we give, however, makes a life.

- Arthur Ashe

Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for kindness.

- Seneca

Roman Philosopher

“Nothing is so strong as gentleness,

and nothing is so gentle as true strength.”

- Ralph Sockman

How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and the strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these.

- George Washington Carver

"The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but reveal to them their own."

- Disraeli

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

- Leo Buscaglia

Better to light one small candle

than to curse the darkness.

- Chinese Proverb

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

- Stephen Grellet

Quaker Missionary

"A life isn’t significant except for its impact on other lives."

- Jackie Robinson

"If you haven't any charity in your heart, you have the worst kind of heart trouble."

- Bob Hope

"Success has nothing to do with what you gain in life or accomplish for yourself. It’s what you do for others."

- Danny Thomas

"Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting."

- Elizabeth Bibesco

"Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting."

- Elizabeth Bibesco

"Remember that there is no happiness in having or in getting, but only in giving. Reach out. Share. Smile. Hug."

- Og Mandino

"What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal."

- Albert Pike

"The race of humankind would perish did they cease to aid each other. We cannot exist without mutual help. All therefore that need aid have a right to ask it from their fellow humans; and no one who has the power of granting can refuse it without guilt."

- Sir Walter Scott

"You will find, as you look back upon your life, that the moments that stand out are the moments when you have done things for others."

- Henry Drummond

"The service we render others is the rent we pay for our room on earth."

- Wilfred Grenfell

"The wise person understands that his own happiness must include the happiness of others."

- Dennis Weaver

To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge.

- Benjamin Disraeli (1804 - 1881)

When you know a thing, to hold that you know it; and when you do not know a thing, to allow that you do not know it - this is knowledge.

- Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC)

None of us is as smart as all of us.

- Eric Schmidt, University of Pennsylvania Commencement Address, 2009

The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.

- Frank Herbert (1920 - 1986)

Perplexity is the beginning of knowledge.

- Kahlil Gibran (1883 - 1931), The Voice of the Master

If you have knowledge, let others light their candles at it.

- Margaret Fuller (1810 - 1850)

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

- Aesop (620 BC - 560 BC)

The ideals which have lighted my way, and time after time have given me new courage to face life cheerfully, have been Kindness, Beauty, and Truth. The trite subjects of human efforts, possessions, outward success, luxury have always seemed to me contemptible.

- Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Compassion is the basis of all morality.

- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788 - 1860)

There is no duty more obligatory than the repayment of kindness.

- Cicero (106 BC - 43 BC)

Forget injuries, never forget kindnesses.

Recompense injury with justice, and recompense kindness with kindness.

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

- Ettiene De Grellet

Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.

- George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.

- Margaret Cho

I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.

Tennessee Williams (1911 - 1983), A Streetcar Named Desire (1947)

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

- The Dalai Lama (1935 - )

Yet do I fear thy nature;

It is too full o' the milk of human kindness.

- William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616), "Macbeth", Act 1 scene 5

That best portion of a good man's life,

His little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and of love.

- William Wordsworth (1770 - 1850)

All the so-called "secrets of success" will not work unless you do.

- Author Unknown

I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.

- Thomas Jefferson

I've got a theory that if you give 100 percent all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end.

- Larry Bird

The difference between try and triumph is a little umph.

- Author Unknown

Men are made stronger on realization that the helping hand they need is at the end of their own arm.

- Sidney J. Phillips

The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.

- Attributed to both Vidal Sassoon and Donald Kendall

When I was young, I observed that nine out of ten things I did were failures. So I did ten times more work.

- George Bernard Shaw

Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all.

- Sam Ewing

Some people dream of success... while others wake up and work hard at it.

- Author Unknown

Those at the top of the mountain didn't fall there.

- Author Unknown

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.

- Will Rogers

If a man is called a streetsweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and Earth will pause to say, Here lived a great streetsweeper who did his job well.

- Martin Luther King, Jr.

The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work.

- Emile Zola

People know you for what you've done, not for what you plan to do.

- Author Unknown

Most people, upon reaching the top, look down and enjoy the view. The smart money is on looking up and finding new mountains to climb.

- Jeb ****erson

Success is a ladder you cannot climb with your hands in your pockets.

- American Proverb

God gave us two ends - one to sit on and one to think with. Success depends on which one you use. Head you win, tail you lose.

- Author Unknown

Doors don't slam open.

- John M. Shanahan

About the only thing that comes to us without effort is old age.

- Gloria Pitzer

Be not afraid of going slowly; be afraid only of standing still.

- Chinese Proverb

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

- Les Brown

It is never too late to be who you might have been.

- George Eliot

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

- Beverly Sills

Know your limits, but never stop trying to exceed them.

- Author Unknown

Arriving at one goal is the starting point to another.

- John Dewey

It is easier to go down a hill than up, but the view is best from the top.

- Arnold Bennett

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan “press on” has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”

- Calvin Coolidge

“Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.”

- Robert F. Kennedy

“I wish to do something Great and Wonderful, but I must start by doing the little things like they were Great and Wonderful.”

- Albert Einstein

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan “press on” has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”

- Calvin Coolidge

I needed to hear this today.

He conquers who endures. - Persius

The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground.

- Author Unknown

The race is not always to the swift, but to those who keep on running. - Author unknown

It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. - Albert Einstein

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another.

- Walter Elliott

Life is not about how fast you run or how high you climb but how well you bounce.

- Vivian Komori

You learn you can do your best even when it's hard, even when you're tired and maybe hurting a little bit. It feels good to show some courage.

- Joe Namath

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.

- Author Unknown

One may go a long way after one is tired.

- French Proverb

Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Problems are not stop signs, they are guidelines.

- Robert Schuller

Vitality shows in not only the ability to persist but the ability to start over.

- F. Scott Fitzgerald

With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable.

- Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second.

- William James

Difficult things take a long time, impossible things a little longer.

- André A. Jackson

"No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave."

— Calvin Coolidge

30th president of the United States

"You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you."

— John Bunyon

"If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good."

— Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

"You've got to get up every morning with determination if you're going to go to bed with satisfaction."

— George Horace Lorimer

"Develop success from failures. Discouragement and failure are two of the surest stepping stones to success."

— Dale Carnegie

"Failure is often that early morning hour of darkness which precedes the dawning of the day of success."

— Leigh Mitchell Hodges

"The secret of success is constancy to purpose."

— Benjamin Disraeli

"Genius is divine perseverance. Genius I cannot claim nor even extra brightness but perseverance all can have."

— Woodrow Wilson

"History has demonstrated that the most notable winners usually encountered heartbreaking obstacles before they triumphed. They won because they refused to become discouraged by their defeats."

— B.C. Forbes

"No is a word on your path to Yes. Don't give up too soon. Not even if well-meaning parents, relatives, friends, and colleagues tell you to get a real job. Your dreams are your real job"

— Joyce Spizer

"Nobody's a natural. You work hard to get good and then work to get better. It's hard to stay on top."

— Paul Coffey

"The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand."

— Vince Lombardi

"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek."

— Mario Andretti

"Even the woodpecker owes his success to the fact that he uses his head and keeps pecking away until he finishes the job he starts."

— Coleman Cox

"Adhere to your purpose and you will soon feel as well as you ever did. On the contrary, if you falter, and give up, you will lose the power of keeping any resolution, and will regret it all your life."

— Abraham Lincoln

"It's always too soon to quit!"

— Norman Vincent Peale

"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."

— Walt Disney

"We will either find a way or make one."

— Hannibal, Carthaginian General

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of determination."

— Vince Lombardi

"It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired."

— Robert Strauss

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing."

"I have three precious things which I hold fast and prize. The first is gentleness; the second frugality; the third is humility, which keeps me from putting myself before others. Be gentle and you can be bold; be frugal and you can be liberal; avoid putting yourself before others and you can become a leader among men."

— Lao-Tzu

"Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful."

— Samuel Johnson

"In looking for people to hire, you look for three qualities: integrity, intelligence, and energy. And if they don't have the first, the other two will kill you."

— Warren Buffet

"To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; credible we must be truthful."

— Edward R. Murrow

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

— Abraham Lincoln

Archived