Premed 101 Forums

Does Authorship order matter for pubs?

Hey everyone, i was just wondering whether the order your name appears on a paper matters in terms of med school app. If you are say 4th or 5th author as opposed to 2nd, would that affect how much the publication is worth on your app? Or is the important fact just that you have your name on a published paper?

Hey everyone, i was just wondering whether the order your name appears on a paper matters in terms of med school app. If you are say 4th or 5th author as opposed to 2nd, would that affect how much the publication is worth on your app? Or is the important fact just that you have your name on a published paper?

In general terms, the order of authorship corresponds with the amount of work contributed to the research paper. The primary author did the majority of the work, while the secondary and tertiary author had significant input, and lower ordered authors contributed less. So I guess the rest is self explanitory in terms of a med app. In any case an authorship is better than nothing.. but certainly not make of break in any circumstance as research is funny that way..

Good luck.

ABS:cool:

Depends on the scope of the paper.

We published a paper with primate data and that paper had 47 authors. We ALL contributed a lot and there was no "coffee getting!" That's what the acknowledgement section in the paper is for!!

Holy ****!!! That's the highest number I've seen to date

Archived