Premed 101 Forums

In need of Immediate Help!!

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and I have tried searching for it, but nothing related to my case showed up, so please dont kill me if this question has been asked before.

I graduated from U of T this year and my yearly GPA distributions (according to OMSAS) are: 1st year = 3.17. 2nd year = 3.27, 3rd year = 3.91and 4th year = 3.89. I was initially planning to do my MCAT this summer but due to various personal reasons, I couldn't. My ECs are not excellent either. Now I will be writing my MCAT in January hopefully and will be applying next year. However, I am worried about what should I be doing in the upcoming two years. Should I take one non-degree year and improve my cGPA or do some research project in a lab and try to get a publication or just try to focus on my ECs and make them excellent? I understand that two years is a long time period and I am not sure how med. schools look at it i.e. if not studying, then what shoud I be doing?

I am really confused and I really want to improve my chances of getting in and I will do whatever it takes for that.

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and I have tried searching for it, but nothing related to my case showed up, so please dont kill me if this question has been asked before.

I graduated from U of T this year and my yearly GPA distributions (according to OMSAS) are: 1st year = 3.17. 2nd year = 3.27, 3rd year = 3.91and 4th year = 3.89. I was initially planning to do my MCAT this summer but due to various personal reasons, I couldn't. My ECs are not excellent either. Now I will be writing my MCAT in January hopefully and will be applying next year. However, I am worried about what should I be doing in the upcoming two years. Should I take one non-degree year and improve my cGPA or do some research project in a lab and try to get a publication or just try to focus on my ECs and make them excellent? I understand that two years is a long time period and I am not sure how med. schools look at it i.e. if not studying, then what shoud I be doing?

I am really confused and I really want to improve my chances of getting in and I will do whatever it takes for that.

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

There are many schools that look only at your two most recent or two "best years" such as Queens, UWO and some OOP schools. You may not have to do another degree since your last two years (assuming 5FCE) is 3.90, which is competitive. With that upcoming year, i think it's best that you do some volunteering and research while writing your MCAT.

One med school looks at best two years and you have a shot at U/T. Research and ECs sounds good to me but you will receive feedback from others who know more than I. Does a 1 yr non-degree course of study go toward improving ther cGPA? I don't think you need worry about a gap year or two from adcom point of view and whatever you do will make you a better candidate. GL!

There you go, the above post says what I said but with greater depth/information.

Your first priority should be studying the MCAT from now until January when you'll actually write it. After that, you can either try to do some research or beef up EC. The upside about research is that sometimes you can get paid for that and the prof may be happy to write you a LOR. The downside is there's no guarantee you'll get productive pubs out of it. You can also work and earn some money. Volunteer is great, but then you don't earn money for that. Lastly, if you are lacking some of the prereqs (especially for US schools), you can take them part-time.

Archived