Premed 101 Forums

Major, minor, Honours

Ok, sorry since this isn't totally related to anything pre-med but I don't know the difference here mostly when it comes to job prospects. I understand that Honours requires more specific courses etc but what about job prospects? What's the difference between doing a three year or four year..or doing a minor as opposed to a major as opposed to honours?

First of all, you pretty much have to do a major. This will be the subject you are most interested in/most interested in working in.

You can choose to do an honours' degree. In addition to the major requirements, you will complete a research project in your 4th year and depending on the program, perhaps take a few more difficult courses. Honours' degrees are an advantage for graduate school, and for job applications in that field as well (though the extent depends on the job, the subject, etc.)

You can also choose to do a minor in a field that you are also interested in/interested in working in. You will be required to take a certain amount of courses in this field, but way less than if you were doing a major. This could give you some credibility if you decide to apply for a job to do with your minor if you can't find one to do with your major. Other people use it to supplement their major.

For example, someone who wants to become a psychiatrist could choose to major in biology, minor in psychology. Someone who wants to be a physicist could major in physics and minor in computer science. Or a chemist could just be interested in political science and minor in that.

If you were to receive a gift of acceptance into med school from 3rd year, the undergrad degree becomes irrelevant and unnecessary.

If you did a undergrade in managment or commerce, it will be usefull later if you have lead a team of health care professionnels.

The health care system need so much people who knows how to manage ;)

If you did a undergrade in managment or commerce, it will be usefull later if you have lead a team of health care professionnels.

The health care system need so much people who knows how to manage ;)

Knowing how to manage comes from experience. Not what you read in a book or some courses you took.

3-year undergrad degrees are looked at quite unfavourably for both job applications and graduate school admissions, unless you just studied during the summer(s) and still completed 120 credits.

If you're accepted into med school what employers will care if you finished an undergrad?

Having worked in business i've never asked someone if they did their UG in 3 or 4 years nor have i asked if they received their degrees.

Having a degree sure didnt hurt the likes of Steve Jobs, Bill Gates.

Knowing how to manage comes from experience. Not what you read in a book or some courses you took.

depends upon the individual - there are many with experience and bad judgment who are beyond redemption. Others who have studied and have good judgment and communication skills are far better than experienced nincompoops. :)

Age and experience is not always an advantage, even if one might think it should be.

depends upon the individual - there are many with experience and bad judgment who are beyond redemption. Others who have studied and have good judgment and communication skills are far better than experienced nincompoops. :)

Age and experience is not always an advantage, even if one might think it should be.

I'm sorry but my experience in business at an executive level tells me people with experience are better than those coming out of school with nothing more than book smarts and zero management experience.

Experience trumps theory every time otherwise you'd need not go through preclerkship, clerkship and residency to become a Doctor.

No one said age was a contributor of anything other than age itself.

I know many people with legal or business experience earning good livings who are absolute bozos and students with their present training, common sense, good judgment and experience as it is can run circles around them.

We're talking about management here. But you just confirmed what i wrote because both groups you mentioned have experience.

Lets see a student fresh out of school with nothing more than an undergrad or an MBA run a company or participate at an exective level. But i suppose in your world these newbs still know more and can do better with zero EXPERIENCE than those with EXPERIENCE.

And we're not talking about earning a good living. We're talking about managing which is what my original statement was based on.

Experienced bozos are just that - useless. :P

Your preaching (talking down to us) is unnecessary but whatever makes you happy. :P You really don't know it all just b/c you have experience and absolutely, there are those of us who can run circles in the real wolrd around your bozos with experience. Lets move on. :)

PEACE

Experienced bozos are just that - useless. :P

Your preaching (talking down to us) is unnecessary but whatever makes you happy. :P You really don't know it all just b/c you have experience and absolutely, there are those of us who can run circles in the real wolrd around your bozos with experience. Lets move on. :)

PEACE

Funny, i was getting the impression you and your know-it-all attitude was talking down to, well, pretty much everyone.

I don't talk down to people. I share my experiences based on real life. I wouldn't tell a lawyer how to practice law, a Doctor how to treat a patient, an accountant how to keep balance sheets nor an Engineer how to design. I also wouldnt tell other people things that i know nothing about and that means more than having just read some book.

Funny, i was getting the impression you and your know-it-all attitude was talking down to, well, pretty much everyone.

I don't talk down to people. I share my experiences based on real life. I wouldn't tell a lawyer how to practice law, a Doctor how to treat a patient, an accountant how to keep balance sheets nor an Engineer how to design. I also wouldnt tell other people things that i know nothing about and that means more than having just read some book.

You are a rare non-trad trying to fit in by continuing to demonstrate your preaching skills to us :D but it doesn't work, rather it backfires. :)

Try to be nice and help out. This is the purpose of the forum. Acting superior makes you feel good but you will find it an impediment in establishing relationships in your studies, in life and on this forum. If you are not now talking down to me, then I guess I am unable to understand English (if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then you are a duck) but whatever turns you on. :P Pick on people your own age (35) when you mature and gain more experience. :P You are the only non-trad here who insists upon bringing his ego with him to the public forum - all the others are so humble and nice, try to learn from them and participate with humility, it will get you further in life, as a physician (where arrogance is counterproductive) and on this forum.

Out of curiosity, when you get a specialization in addition to your major, does it make a difference in job prospects? (Other than giving you more experience in that area)

Yes, it helps if you chose the right specialization that job market needs.

Sometimes, a job is very popular a year .... and 3 or 4 years later, the market doesn't need.

It's easy to find a job if you chose a regulated profession.

Archived