Premed 101 Forums

EM 2+1 lifestyle

Dany

hey guys, I just talked to an EM 2+1 staff who practices in rural Quebec. He does 12 shifts of 8hrs per month, 11 months per year, and he makes 250k last year.

that comes to 236$/hr

there are just some points that I can confirm with you guys:

1) is it true that 8hrs x12 /month is considered full time for EM docs? it sounds pretty damned good lifestyle, as compared to GIM stuck in hospital 8 to 6-or-7 every single day, PLUS calls.

EM = 8x12 = 96hrs/month

GIM = 9x5x4 = 180hrs / month PLUS calls

and their salaries are not so different...

2) I was told that EM docs are free to move around, i.e. go to another province and practice else/anywhere, cuz there is an awful shortage of EM docs... and most of those spots (prob not tertiary centres) are more than happy with just a 2+1 EM is it true?

I know nothing about pay, but here in alberta I've heard from a couple docs and residents now that 2+1 EMs have no trouble finding work. I've only asked a little about in the cities though, because I am thinking of practicing out of the major centers.

thanks guys for the reply

how about the lifestyles then?

typically how many shifts does an EM (5 or 2+1) does per month to be considered full-time?

I've spoken with a couple EM docs in bc and they indicated you may work 8-10 shifts of varying lengths to be considered full time, but it generally works out to 3 or 4 per week of 8-10 or 12 hours. You can also work extra shifts each week and it's like vacation pay later if you don't have vacation pay...

It sounds pretty decent, except the shift work.

In my travels, I've wanted to do 2+1 for a long time; I have encountered that in a lot of areas, physicians who are already working the emergency room are reluctant to let new recruits take part in ER hours. They cite inexperience, but I would imagine that the renumeration is also an important part in their considerations.

In a small town, for example, there is a Day shift, and Evening shift, and a Night shift. There may be 5 doctors involved in a day. Some doctors only work ER; and if a new person comes to town only interested in doing ER, they directly compete.

There are some areas I have looked into it, who will offer me X amount of ER hours a week, but the rest of the time, I will need to open clinic. And I have to join the obstetrics call pool (for people who don't like call); often as 1 in 5 call.

There are also communities who have told me that I am welcome to set up practice there in the future, but they will offer me 0 ER hours and I should not expect to take part in the ER pool. However,I am required to take part in the obstetrics call pool.

So it's not as "easy" finding a job as an 2+1 with a lot of politics involved.

thanks renin for your reply

actually i dont mind doing a small amount of clinics or even, obstetric calls.

As long as ER makes most of my schedule, say, at least 2-3 shifts per wk, or 8-12 per month

it is realistic???

just curous, are you already a 2+1?

apparently from your signature, you are still a senior med student like I am :rolleyes:

thanks renin for your reply

actually i dont mind doing a small amount of clinics or even, obstetric calls.

As long as ER makes most of my schedule, say, at least 2-3 shifts per wk, or 8-12 per month

it is realistic???

just curous, are you already a 2+1?

apparently from your signature, you are still a senior med student like I am :rolleyes:

I am a senior medical student, but I have been sticking my nose into things and attending staff meetings - aka where the dirt goes down.

I think it's realistic if the small town doesn't already have docs that are ER time hogs.

I will not be naming the towns.

There's probably a shortage of ER facilities rather than docs. You can pump more physicians into a place but without the beds and spaces, to what point?

And I would imagine that most smaller towns will be infested with politics. It's easy to fill day shifts, but do you really want to work the night shift exclusively? I would imagine you'd be butting heads more often than not.

Are you just speculating, because in heard that there was a shortage of doctors, not just facilities, at an interest group talk.

Some folks from Ontario's Emergency Department Coverage Demonstration Project recently talked to our residency group. There is definitely still a shortage of ED physicians in Ontario, at least in certain geographic areas, and the incentives offered by the EDCDP are pretty sweet.

Mind you, it can be a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem. I know of one ED in cottage country that is having difficulty finding physicians and nurses to work there, and has been near closure on several instances, because it is small, overcrowded and just generally a cruddy place to work.

Archived