Premed 101 Forums

Em + Fm?

aaronjw

Forgive my lack of education on the topic of residencies and training but im curious if its possible to somehow practice as both an EM and FM physician?

Yep, definitely. There are tons of threads on the 2+1, and in some rural centres you can practice EM without the extra year of EM training.

Yep, definitely. There are tons of threads on the 2+1, and in some rural centres you can practice EM without the extra year of EM training.

Yeah exactly - you can easily do family with some EM shifts if you followed the 2+1 path.

I know one doctor who actually has his family doctors office on one floor of the community hospital and works sometimes on the floor below in the ER.

Best part of all of that is the flexibility. If you ever get tired of the pretty much required occasional night shift you can permanently go into family (or at least cut down). You can work pretty much anywhere as well.

Yeah exactly - you can easily do family with some EM shifts if you followed the 2+1 path.

I know one doctor who actually has his family doctors office on one floor of the community hospital and works sometimes on the floor below in the ER.

Best part of all of that is the flexibility. If you ever get tired of the pretty much required occasional night shift you can permanently go into family (or at least cut down). You can work pretty much anywhere as well.

This was my thinking. I know im still a long way away from considering such things but at my advanced age i think its worthwhile to consider such things lol

FM isnt overly appealing rignt now (time may change that) but EM is given the pressures and energy of the environment (i work really well under extreme situations) so the combo seems like it has merit.

Add in the fact you can basically be employable anywhere is enticing as well.

Archived