Premed 101 Forums

HighSchool - Getting Accepted to Universities?

Hi, i have searched and read countless helpful threads on this forum before, and have finally registered to ask a few questions.

I am currently in highschool in Alberta. My school has a good reputation and this year, our highschool has ranked in the top 10 in Alberta's top highschool. Although this is not suprising, as our highschool has only around a total of 700 kids, unlike most highschool's, which garner around 1000+ students.

I am going into Grade 11, and have decided to go into the medical side for undergrad studies. My grades have been good so far, where my average so far this year (Grade 10) has been 94%. I am planning to attend McGill, UoT, McMaster or UoA. (My dream university being McGill)

My first question is besides getting good grades, what do universities look for in your applications? Especially for such a competitive major such as Medicine? Volunteer Work? EC's?

The problem with my school being so small, is that we do not offer any IB / AP programs. The only "challenging" action you could possibly take is through course acceleration. Would i be weighted down upon when it comes to my application compared to someone who has gone through IB / AP Programs?

My Second Question, which is rather quite silly (I apologize) is what undergrad major should i be looking into if i want to go to med school, when applying to college? Life Sciences? Health Science?

Third Question: Should i take a language course (Spanish)? Everyone tells me that a Language Course looks good on applications and can be considered as a Core Subject, but my experience with it has been horrible nonetheless. I took it in grade 10, and i really did not enjoy anything about it. Although i managed to survive out with a 90, my experience was terrible. The teacher literally did not teach and everything was self learning. Which i don't mind as i usually teach myself, but it was to the point of being unbearable. She would whip out tests and quizzes which everyone practically failed on, because she gave no lessons on them. So i guess, is it really worth it? Or should i just take a different option class, like Foods or Guitar ?

Fourth question: How competitive is McGill Undergrad for a Medicine major?

Last question: Should i take all three sciences in HighSchool? The pre-requisites are that you need at least 2 science courses, and i have decided to only take Bio and Chem. But should i take also take Physics 20?

If you have any tips you can advise or give, it would be greatly appreciated.

*Out of curiosity, any McGill or any other pre-med students here who want to share their Highschool Transition to Undergrad? I would really be interested to hear them, if you do not mind of course.

Thank you for your time.

Hey Ridicule,

I'd like to refer you to the premed FAQ. It clarifies the admissions process quite nicely (thanks, tooty :)). A few of your questions can be answered just by looking at that thread, so check it out.

Also, there is a fantastic thread that discusses things we all wish we knew when we were in undergrad: http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49120. I think it is awesome to see your ambition at such a young age! Keep at it :)

Ill just give you my opinion on matters of your questions.

To get into pretty much any undergrad program, You need 80+ (85+ for engineering, and 90+ for Mac Health Sci), but for any science, art or business program you need 80+. Use your time in grade 11,12 to see what you wanna do for EC throughout your undergrad, and stick to some of those.

OH and a major thing you should do while you are in grade 11 and 12 is Figure out how you learn. this is your learn style.. Most of us still havent figured it out and undergrad is about to end soon, so you will be ahead if you know how you learn.

for second question --> any major is fine. and I mean ANY!

For THird question --> knowing other language is a plus. ANYthing that sets you apart from the norm is a plus point so go for it.

for fourth question --> you cant do medicine undergrad right out of high school. only european and asian schools do that. In here you gotta do 4 years of undergrad and than you apply to medicine. and yes mcgil is the best university in canada according to ranks, so mcgil is good :)

Personal advice from me to any highschooler. Take as many courses as you can because you will never get free knowledge anywhere outside of high school. The more you know the better. so yes take the sciences, take the languages and take the arts. Anything you can get your hands on!

oh and also read the FAQ,

curiosity, how did you find this website?

Hi, i have searched and read countless helpful threads on this forum before, and have finally registered to ask a few questions.

I am currently in highschool in Alberta. My school has a good reputation and this year, our highschool has ranked in the top 10 in Alberta's top highschool. Although this is not suprising, as our highschool has only around a total of 700 kids, unlike most highschool's, which garner around 1000+ students.

I am going into Grade 11, and have decided to go into the medical side for undergrad studies. My grades have been good so far, where my average so far this year (Grade 10) has been 94%. I am planning to attend McGill, UoT, McMaster or UoA. (My dream university being McGill)

My first question is besides getting good grades, what do universities look for in your applications? Especially for such a competitive major such as Medicine? Volunteer Work? EC's?

Generally undergraduate programs won't look at anything but your Grade 12 grades (and grade 11 for early admission). For medical school applications they will consider ec's/volunteer work/employment/references/awards/research/character/interview.

The problem with my school being so small, is that we do not offer any IB / AP programs. The only "challenging" action you could possibly take is through course acceleration. Would i be weighted down upon when it comes to my application compared to someone who has gone through IB / AP Programs?

No, they will not care whether or not you took AP/IB. The only thing useful about it is scholarships at some schools for undergrad, or credit for university courses... Anyway, don't worry about it.

My Second Question, which is rather quite silly (I apologize) is what undergrad major should i be looking into if i want to go to med school, when applying to college? Life Sciences? Health Science?

Any major is fine. However, you have to make sure you fulfill the prerequisites for medical school (depends on the school). If you google UofA medical admissions, you will find a list of all the courses you need to take to be eligible to apply. Depending on the school, you may or may not be able to complete all the prerequisites with a completely unrelated major. Nevertheless, people often choose majors that will more easily allow them to take all the prerequisite courses (eg. life sciences/health sciences).

Third Question: Should i take a language course (Spanish)? Everyone tells me that a Language Course looks good on applications and can be considered as a Core Subject, but my experience with it has been horrible nonetheless. I took it in grade 10, and i really did not enjoy anything about it. Although i managed to survive out with a 90, my experience was terrible. The teacher literally did not teach and everything was self learning. Which i don't mind as i usually teach myself, but it was to the point of being unbearable. She would whip out tests and quizzes which everyone practically failed on, because she gave no lessons on them. So i guess, is it really worth it? Or should i just take a different option class, like Foods or Guitar ?

It doesn't matter at all unless you plan to pursue it further, i.e. fluency (in which case you could put it on med applications) or if the universities you are planning to apply to require a language course. For example, although not on your list, UBC requires a language 11. French would be helpful for McGill (just living in Mtrl/speaking with patients if you get into McGill medicine), but you have already started with Spanish.

Fourth question: How competitive is McGill Undergrad for a Medicine major?

All medical schools in Canada are very competitive. If you qualify as a Quebec resident (lived in quebec for a certain number of years before applying - you can look up more details on their website) it will be easier for you. Thus if you are set on McGill medicine you should go to McGill for undergrad studies.

Last question: Should i take all three sciences in HighSchool? The pre-requisites are that you need at least 2 science courses, and i have decided to only take Bio and Chem. But should i take also take Physics 20?

Even though you are not required to, I would highly suggest taking all three at the 20 and 30 levels. This is because several universities require you to take one year of physics in undergrad, and if you haven't taken grades 11/12 it will be that much more challenging. Although people might say it is quite difficult, it really isn't.

If you have any tips you can advise or give, it would be greatly appreciated.

Again, as others have said, you must complete a certain number of years of undergraduate studies before applying to medicine, which depends on the university (2-4). You should seriously research the undergraduate programs at the universities you are interested in... lots of information is on their websites.

*Out of curiosity, any McGill or any other pre-med students here who want to share their Highschool Transition to Undergrad? I would really be interested to hear them, if you do not mind of course.

Thank you for your time.

10characters

The most important asset you can bring from high school to undergrad is a strong work ethic. And, yes taking physics is a good thing too. The reputation of your h.s. is totally irrelevant and it is totally unnecessary to take IP/AB courses. You have a long journey ahead of you, it is a marathon, so just stay focused, realize your priorities, develop time and stress management skills, do not allow yourself to be distracted upon in undergrad.

Med schools do not care what you study in undergrad, it is all about GPA and once you are competitive, ECs/volunteerring is important to show that you are an active citizen while being able to handle a fullcourse load.

Here is some additional information:

1. No matter how well or poorly you are doing in high school, it gives absolkutely no indiciation of your success in undergrad. The most important carry over from h.s. to UG is a strong wortk ethic, if it now exists. This will be of tremendous help. I did not have one. :P

2. Do not listen to family/friends/parents and go for U/T or McGill, the most prestigious university. This is generally speaking a recipe for disaster. Let's say you are presently a top student. Hurray for you! So, you will competing with other so-caled top students, 50% of whom for the first time in their lives will be in the bottom half of the cass. What's the point. All of these students were previously in the top 5% of their class.

3. My best advice is to find a so-called "no name" small university that the so-called brighter kids turn their nose down upon. There, you will have small classes, get to know your profs, do very well indeed. Remember, GPA is King!! Youngish physician parents know all this and their kids go this route.

4. The transition to UG is brutal. Therefore, do not take on any ECs/volunteering the first semester until you cracked the code of your inner self during the transition and do well in your finals. No distractions either, if you have a significant other who is needy or a serious distration, then dukp his person as you will be taken down and become missing in action. You may not like all your required courses, so what, this is no excuse to do poorly. You need to focus, have discipline, prioritize, curtail social life and treat your studies professionally, i.e., don't just cram, stay up-to-date for studies/assignments.

5. Pursue a course of study about which you are interested/passionate as I did. This will motivate you to work hard and do well. You will need to learn self-sacrifice to accomplish your goals.

I became a straight A student despite the fact that I am not the brightest lightbullb in the class. What I lack in intelligence, I have made up for in serious work ethic, prioritizing and keeping my eye on the ball. GPA stays with you forever.

You will screw up somewhere, not to worry, this will be a learning experience for you. U/T and U/O have their weighted GPA, others take last 2 years or best 2 years, so it is not over, just lick your wounds and carry on.

Once you do well, then spread out in ECs/volunteering - only do what you enjoy. There is no cookie cutter recipe. Even unorganized activities are fine, like helping a disabled or old neighbour.

Thank you for all your responses!

Would EC's Matter much at all in Highschool ?

So you guys all advise that i should take Physics 20?

What can i do in highschool, that would be helpful to me in undergrad admissions? Broaden my EC's?

I was also thinking about that. What would be the pro and con's of going to a less prestigious school and taking undergrad there?

What major would be most appropriate to go into? Health Science or Life Sciences? I don't really want to stick to a major that does not really have much connection to science. The most popular majors talked about seem to be Health Sciences or Life Sciences. What is the difference on these?

Thanks all.

Would EC's Matter much at all in Highschool ?

Not for getting into undergrad, but for personal development and growth. Befriend the friendless, showing compassion. Get involved in student government, lose your shyness and learn responsibility on the way to becoming a leader.

So you guys all advise that i should take Physics 20?

Yes

What can i do in highschool, that would be helpful to me in undergrad admissions? Broaden my EC's?

Enjoy highschool.

I was also thinking about that. What would be the pro and con's of going to a less prestigious school and taking undergrad there?

The pros of a prestigious university are bragging rights. No other pros other than obtaining a lower GPA. The pros of a no-name small university nobody heard of is that you will have a higher GPA, get to know your profs, dramatically enhance your chance of getting into med school.

What major would be most appropriate to go into? Health Science or Life Sciences? I don't really want to stick to a major that does not really have much connection to science. The most popular majors talked about seem to be Health Sciences or Life Sciences. What is the difference on these?

It does not matter iun the slightest what course of study you take so long as you do well. Taking a program about which you are passionate will likely result in a higher GPA. Only commence ECs once you have your academics under control.

Thanks all.

OP, I'm guessing you should be 16 now or turning 16 soon? In this case, you should definitely start to volunteer at hospitals (or in your local community if hospitals do not accept you).

Also, try to get involved in as many clubs and ECs as possible. All of your involvement from the age of 16 onward can be used during your application to medical schools (in OMSAS at least). When you get to university, you won't have much time to get involved in ECs and GPA should be your top priority. Hence, you should definitely do them now when you still can. There is no need to get 95% or let alone 99% averages in HS. All you need it to gain admittance into the university of your choice and you will be competing on the same playing field as your peers for medicine. Maybe you'll lose out on some scholarship money, but this is just small "investment" if I may say so, in the long run.

for fourth question --> you cant do medicine undergrad right out of high school. only european and asian schools do that. In here you gotta do 4 years of undergrad and than you apply to medicine. and yes mcgil is the best university in canada according to ranks, so mcgil is good :)

Really? Which rankings? I wouldn't want you to influence a HS-er with inaccurate information.

According to Times Higher Education and QS, UofT seems to triumph as the top university.

But we know each university has it's own niche, so I would avoid making claims like that.

OP,

I went to mcgill for ugrad.

If it's your dream school because of reputation, location, atmosphere of living in mtl then I'd say why not.

McGill is not that hard. If you worked hard during highschool then you won't have a problem whereever you go. It is true that big schools could be harder than smaller schools but you'll never really know.

There are still hundreds of students who get As at McGill and nothing is stopping anyone from getting an A in the science department (there is no curving down).

The only downside that I saw as a mcgill student is that you won't get to build close relationships with profs during the first two years because the class size is so big. It gets better as you go into upper years.

Going to a smaller school will make it easier since you'll have smaller class sizes. But no one can guarantee that you'll get a good GPA if you don't work hard.

As for ugrad major, do whatever you want. Having a science background is good only if you love science.

I know a friend who just did physio thinking it would be good for medicine and failed a few courses in 2nd year, switched to english and excelled and got into medicine.

Honestly, as a highschool student don't spend too much thinking about med school unless you want to attend UofA after finishing 2 years of ugrad.

There's also a downside to that because all you would probably have been doing is focus on medicine and not really have time to develop other non-medicinal interests.

You're still young and take your time to explore so many other options other than medicine. If your heart is truly for medicine, you'll stay focused on medicine although you try out many things.

OP, I'm guessing you should be 16 now or turning 16 soon? In this case, you should definitely start to volunteer at hospitals (or in your local community if hospitals do not accept you).

Also, try to get involved in as many clubs and ECs as possible. All of your involvement from the age of 16 onward can be used during your application to medical schools (in OMSAS at least). When you get to university, you won't have much time to get involved in ECs and GPA should be your top priority. Hence, you should definitely do them now when you still can. There is no need to get 95% or let alone 99% averages in HS. All you need it to gain admittance into the university of your choice and you will be competing on the same playing field as your peers for medicine. Maybe you'll lose out on some scholarship money, but this is just small "investment" if I may say so, in the long run.

Really? Which rankings? I wouldn't want you to influence a HS-er with inaccurate information.

According to Times Higher Education and QS, UofT seems to triumph as the top university.

But we know each university has it's own niche, so I would avoid making claims like that.

I remember one time mcgil got ranked 9th and UofT was like 26th

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2010/09/08/montreal-mcgill-ranks-tops-in-canada.html

it was however last year so I guess things have changed!

but really now ranking doesn't matter. I chose university for location and it turned out to be a better choice than if I had gone to UofT cause I later found out that it was harder.. so just choose any one and it really wont matter..

Definitely take Physics 20. In fact, it would probably be in your best interest to take Physics 30 in grade 12, as well. The med schools at UofA and McGill, for example, require that you have a full year of undergrad physics under your belt. A thorough understanding of high school physics will not only help you with your transition to university physics, but with the MCAT as well. (If you'd like to read more about my transition from high school to UofA undergrad, feel free to check out my blog)

Good luck with your studies!

Ill just give you my opinion on matters of your questions.

To get into pretty much any undergrad program, You need 80+ (85+ for engineering, and 90+ for Mac Health Sci), but for any science, art or business program you need 80+. Use your time in grade 11,12 to see what you wanna do for EC throughout your undergrad, and stick to some of those.

OH and a major thing you should do while you are in grade 11 and 12 is Figure out how you learn. this is your learn style.. Most of us still havent figured it out and undergrad is about to end soon, so you will be ahead if you know how you learn.

for second question --> any major is fine. and I mean ANY!

For THird question --> knowing other language is a plus. ANYthing that sets you apart from the norm is a plus point so go for it.

Personal advice from me to any highschooler. Take as many courses as you can because you will never get free knowledge anywhere outside of high school. The more you know the better. so yes take the sciences, take the languages and take the arts. Anything you can get your hands on!

oh and also read the FAQ,

curiosity, how did you find this website?

Or he can come to Quebec, where he can apply to med school after cegep (2 years) and where there is no Grade 12.

OP,

I went to mcgill for ugrad.

If it's your dream school because of reputation, location, atmosphere of living in mtl then I'd say why not.

McGill is not that hard. If you worked hard during highschool then you won't have a problem whereever you go. It is true that big schools could be harder than smaller schools but you'll never really know.

There are still hundreds of students who get As at McGill and nothing is stopping anyone from getting an A in the science department (there is no curving down).

The only downside that I saw as a mcgill student is that you won't get to build close relationships with profs during the first two years because the class size is so big. It gets better as you go into upper years.

Going to a smaller school will make it easier since you'll have smaller class sizes. But no one can guarantee that you'll get a good GPA if you don't work hard.

As for ugrad major, do whatever you want. Having a science background is good only if you love science.

I know a friend who just did physio thinking it would be good for medicine and failed a few courses in 2nd year, switched to english and excelled and got into medicine.

Honestly, as a highschool student don't spend too much thinking about med school unless you want to attend UofA after finishing 2 years of ugrad.

There's also a downside to that because all you would probably have been doing is focus on medicine and not really have time to develop other non-medicinal interests.

You're still young and take your time to explore so many other options other than medicine. If your heart is truly for medicine, you'll stay focused on medicine although you try out many things.

If you don't like science or physio, how can you study medicine?

If you don't like science or physio, how can you study medicine?

I don't think it is a matter of not liking science/physio, but more of the matter of playing to your strengths. Some people are stronger in the arts and have a passion for literature, fine arts, and music and thusly pursue these subjects in undergrad while fufilling premed requirements. Either way you have to do well to be competitive. I for instance am pursuing my u.g. degree in chemical engineering you can argue that this has little to do with medicine, but I am still interested in it even though it is a lot of work. I also have a interest in music but I am pursuing that through a private teacher.

The bottom line is to do want you want in undergrad while taking the required courses for medicalschool - and do well in them!..

Or he can come to Quebec, where he can apply to med school after cegep (2 years) and where there is no Grade 12.

Hey, could you elaborate more on this please?

Also, thanks for all the input guys. I really appreciate it. I really am set to go into medicine, as i generally have interest in that field. From what i learnt so far, is that the hard part is surviving in university rather than getting admitted. I just want to make sure i fully prepare myself to the best i can, before i enter undergrad.

Hey, could you elaborate more on this please?

Also, thanks for all the input guys. I really appreciate it. I really am set to go into medicine, as i generally have interest in that field. From what i learnt so far, is that the hard part is surviving in university rather than getting admitted. I just want to make sure i fully prepare myself to the best i can, before i enter undergrad.

Here in Quebec, when you finish Secondary V (Grade 11), you can apply to cegep. If you want to get into medicine, you do a DEC (Diplome d'etudes collegiales) in Sciences, which lasts 2 years. After completion of your cegep, you can directly enter med school. The Science DEC is equivalent to the freshmen year, but it's done in 2 years, and there are some general education courses (like language, humanities, physical education).

I did my UG at McGill as well (and my cegep before, didn't think about med school at that time). I did one semester in physiotherapy and switched to computer science because PT really wasn't what I wanted even though I loved the anatomy/physiology classes. Don't pick McGill because of the (perceived or not) prestige, but if you want to live in Montreal, and like the program and the school then go for it! It's a great school even though I'm doing med at UdeM now.

Archived