Premed 101 Forums

electives at home school

just wondering if anyone had any ideas on how important it is to do an elective at your own medical school in a program that you are interested in ... i only ask because i have spent the summer working in the department at my school and i was wondering if that would suffice ... i would love to be able to use that elective time at another school to increase my chances of matching

thanks

i only worked with the department head and he indicated he would write me an favourable letter, and i know a few residents as well ... so then is it necessary to do an elective and network with the program director as well?

thanks for the reply folly!

Well, your chances are probably already as good as they're going to be at this school, depending on how strongly the department head (assuming he is on the committee, which is usually a good assumption) and residents are willing to vouch for you. A summer is a long time and I'm a bit surprised if you haven't met more than just the department head - any rounds or halfdays that you can attend? Meeting the PD and other committee members can be helpful if it means more voices in your favour - though you could just arrange for a morning or afternoon with them, not necessary a full elective. Could backfire in the unlikely instance that they don't like you as much.

Archived