Premed 101 Forums

Writing a letter of reference - help, please :)

Cerena

Hey everyone!

So, this is quite different from the norm!! But I have been asked to write a reference letters for one of my professors. And, I need some help.

How do you write a good, solid reference for someone else? How long is a typical reference letter? A page?

Should I include a personal story in the reference letter? Would that be too sappy? I mean, I'm writing this letter for the professor I have connected with the most in my undergrad, so I have nothing but awesome things to say about him.

If anyone can give me some pointers, or if you've had to write a reference letter for a professor in the past and have some experience doing so, any help would be appreciated. I've looked up how to write reference letters, but I keep finding advice that wouldn't really help a student write a letter for a prof.

Thanks/Merci/Obrigado!! :)

First thing to do is determine what the reference letter is for - are there any criteria, as for a promotion or an award? When students are asked to write letters, they usually want comments on how the professor was as a teacher, a supervisor, a mentor, a role model, etc. I have gone to 1.5 pages, which is easier if you know the person well.

As with any other reference letter, personal stories and specific examples that depict what the person is like and the impact they had on you are valuable. It won't be sappy if you don't write in a sappy manner (so back up statements with specifics).

Format - intro: how happy you are to write for this great person who fulfills the criteria so well. how long you have known them and in what context. Launch into their most outstanding aspect (or what the people looking at the letter are most interested in). Insert personal stories. Subsequent paragraphs can address other aspects of an excellent professor, until you've touched on everything the committee is likely to want to know about from the perspective of a student. Summary: kind of like intro, reinforce how deserving and amazing they are. Provide contact info if they wish to speak to you further.

Good luck! I'm sure people (myself included) would be willing to take a look at a draft if you wished.

First thing to do is determine what the reference letter is for - are there any criteria, as for a promotion or an award? When students are asked to write letters, they usually want comments on how the professor was as a teacher, a supervisor, a mentor, a role model, etc. I have gone to 1.5 pages, which is easier if you know the person well.

As with any other reference letter, personal stories and specific examples that depict what the person is like and the impact they had on you are valuable. It won't be sappy if you don't write in a sappy manner (so back up statements with specifics).

Format - intro: how happy you are to write for this great person who fulfills the criteria so well. how long you have known them and in what context. Launch into their most outstanding aspect (or what the people looking at the letter are most interested in). Insert personal stories. Subsequent paragraphs can address other aspects of an excellent professor, until you've touched on everything the committee is likely to want to know about from the perspective of a student. Summary: kind of like intro, reinforce how deserving and amazing they are. Provide contact info if they wish to speak to you further.

Good luck! I'm sure people (myself included) would be willing to take a look at a draft if you wished.

Oh, thanks very much, LF! That is excellent advice. I may have to send you a copy, if you wouldn't mind looking at it. This is my first time doing something like this, and I really want it to be well done for him :)

:P.........

Hahahahaha I really try to! Maybe it's because I always operate as if I had caffeine. Like a natural high or something... In other words, don't give me coffee. I'll explode.

But Lf was super fast at getting back to me! Greatly appreciated :D

Hey everyone!

So, this is quite different from the norm!! But I have been asked to write a reference letters for one of my professors. And, I need some help.

How do you write a good, solid reference for someone else? How long is a typical reference letter? A page?

Should I include a personal story in the reference letter? Would that be too sappy? I mean, I'm writing this letter for the professor I have connected with the most in my undergrad, so I have nothing but awesome things to say about him.

If anyone can give me some pointers, or if you've had to write a reference letter for a professor in the past and have some experience doing so, any help would be appreciated. I've looked up how to write reference letters, but I keep finding advice that wouldn't really help a student write a letter for a prof.

Thanks/Merci/Obrigado!! :)

I would have given some advice, but I have never faced that situation before. So I don't want to give you bad advice, LF response was awesome.. maybe try google.. it works for everything.:)

I would have given some advice' date=' but I have never faced that situation before. So I don't want to give you bad advice, LF response was awesome.. maybe try google.. it works for everything.:)[/quote']

Thanks for the good intentions, ABS :)

I guess if you ever need advice on how to do this, I'd be glad to share with you what I have written so you have a better idea!

We learn and we teach :)

Archived