Premed 101 Forums

Easy courses to bump your GPA

Guest Chowchilla

Guest Chowchilla

Hi all!

When choosing an elective for first year, what do you guys recommend as an easy soc. sci/humanities course to pick?

=chow=

Guest arcticaguy

I took a few Geography and philosophy courses and seemed to do well in them. I picked those areas out of personal interest and to satisfy my own intellectual curiosity. The philosophy courses demanded much more of my time though, just to let you know. Ofcourse, every school is different and every professor is different. I would ask upper years in your school for advice as well.

I was always told that so long as I satisfy my degree's requirements/med pre-reqs, I should be fine. I would add that it would REALLY help if you were interested in the subject material as well. Makes cramming much easier/"fun" :)

Guest ManitobaMed

Hi Chowchilla,

I'd like to precede the following by advocating the choice of electives based on *interest*, NOT on obtaining high marks. I did well in all of my electives not because they were easy courses, but because I REALLY enjoyed them and consequently focused more on them than on my required course work.

That being said... :)

Are you any good at languages? Most of the science majors I know -- myself included -- have done well in intro language courses. I took Ancient Greek, Latin, and Spanish, and all three are among my highest undergrad marks. (I do not, however, recommend taking Ancient Greek without first taking another university language course and doing well in it.)

Also, if your undergrad school has an "Intro to Logic" course (it falls under the heading of philosophy), you would probably do well if you're a decent math student.

...Seriously, though, look through your course calendar. If a class jumps out at you, consider taking it. The last minute "gee, that course looks cool" selections always served me -- and my GPA -- well.

If you like english, I took a Pop Culture course that was fantastic.

The other course that I thought was a lot of fun was a classical studies class in Ancient Sport in Greece/Italy.

I agree with Manitoba Med.... I think you should take a course that you really enjoy. Not only do you like going to class, but I found I did best in the courses that interested me the most.

What school are you at? This can help get more insightful posts on what courses to take :D

Guest u of t

i took some courses that i would consider pretty easy. i managed to get 4.0's in them with minimal effort (all were half year courses). one has GGR25(?) i can't remember the code...it's geography USA. the year that i took it, there was that TA strike, so instead of 2 essays and a midterm and a final, i just had 1 essay (like 5 pages?), a midterm, and a final. the thing with this course is that a lot of people go into it thinking it's a bird and end up with only mediocre grades. the thing is, if you're willing to put just a bit of effort, you can get an A (and we're not talking basic medical sciences effort). there's also very little reading associated with the course, and the exams are based almost entirely on the lectures. the other geography course that i took that was totally reminiscent of high school was marketing geography (ggr252?). again, very little reading, 2 assignments, and 1 final. the assignments are a joke. i also took this course called biological rhythms (um, JZP326), which is a joint psych/zoology course. it's pretty interesting, and the prof is definitely not out to get you. the only thing is that his lectures were pretty disorganized and that got a bit frustrating at times...oh, and this course only has 1 midterm and 1 final. no essays or assignments.

hope this helps.

Archived