Premed 101 Forums

Kind of a unique problem..

hopeful1

Hi guys,

I've done a search for this, but I couldn't find anything specific. My problem is that, due to being in an IB program in high school, I was able to get some courses in advanced standing in bio, math, and english, but I decided to retake those courses anyway (b/c they'd be easier the second time around). It worked and I ended up with 94 bio, 92 English, and 89 Chem; but on my transcript, these courses show up as repeats.

I understand that in most cases, the repeated courses are averaged with their predecessor, but by advance standing credits were given a letter grade (a "pass"), so my question is, will that grade be counted as a zero, thus halving my scores? If so, is there anyway to go about getting those credits removed from my transcript?

If you read that entire thing, thanks alot for your help :D

Hi guys,

I've done a search for this, but I couldn't find anything specific. My problem is that, due to being in an IB program in high school, I was able to get some courses in advanced standing in bio, math, and english, but I decided to retake those courses anyway (b/c they'd be easier the second time around). It worked and I ended up with 94 bio, 92 English, and 89 Chem; but on my transcript, these courses show up as repeats.

I understand that in most cases, the repeated courses are averaged with their predecessor, but by advance standing credits were given a letter grade (a "pass"), so my question is, will that grade be counted as a zero, thus halving my scores? If so, is there anyway to go about getting those credits removed from my transcript?

This unique problem as you call it, is enitrely your fault by trying to pull a fast one that exploded in your face. This should be a life lesson. It did not work other than receiving a high mark second time around which does not count. Ask the administration, go to the ombudsman and see what, if anything can be accomplished. There are no shortcuts to achieving academic excellence or getting into med school.

Fair enough. You may not have known either that a) the university knew of the IB credits or B) that the university would receive the IB transcripts from your h.s. - but you certainly knew you were repeating the course (taking the easiest route to obtain top grades) and you are deemed to know the rules regarding repeat courses where you knew them or not.

So,no matter how you slice it, you are solely responsible for the damages you caused to yourself with the inevitable accompanying ripple effect.

As I said before, there are no shortcuts, no matter how tempting something appears to be. Appearances are often deceiving. :(

At UBC, re-taking the courses that you have gained credit for from the IB program is totally acceptable. From the FAQ:

I have received AP or IB credit (and attained the minimum grades UBC requires) for prerequisite courses, but have also taken the actual courses themselves. Will these grades be included in the prerequisite average?

Yes, if you took the actual courses in your first year or second year (not in subsequent years) and have AP/IB credits, we will use the university grades.

---

In my opinion, it's illogical to think that your grades will be halved. But check with admissions.

Hope this helps!

Worst case scenario, it cost you one year. So, you do an extra year before obtaining your degree - but take a full course load every year, including the last year, meaning even if not apparently necessary, in the last year, do both semesters. It is not the end of the world.

It cost you one year ? I say : ¨you can not save one year¨ ;)

You do an extra year ? I say : ¨you will finish as fast as someone who did not do the IB. ;)

Usually, universities doesn't like to give exemption for the same courses done in lower level.

So it's a good ¨matter¨ ;)

Hi guys,

Which school do you go to? How can this happen? The credits for IB are given in lieu of a course number at the university and there are rules that once you are awarded a credit you cannot register in that course. Even if you wanted to take these courses in university, you must have to decline the credits before registration? Did your school's registration system screw you over?

In any case, you need to go to appropriate admin (registrar?) and need to get it sorted out.

Look, I didn't ask/apply for the credits, my IB transcripts were sent automatically to the university by my high school, and they just gave them to me. I didn't know they existed until I got my grades for last year.

Realistically speaking, you should have known the consequences of getting IB credits. This situation is similar to those that take Advanced Placement (AP). When I was entering university, I knew how these courses would appear on the transcript (pass/fail) and that doing them 2nd time around would be useless (for medical school purposes). Hence, you take the appropriate steps...by taking the next course, for which your pass/fail course serves as pre-req or not submitting them (which in your case wasn't possible); the 1st option is the route many students take, but I know many that took the easy way out too.

I know it sounds harsh...but this was one of those things you SHOULD have known. The upside of the situation is that atleast you have solidified your science concepts and experienced university level english. Very likely this will benefit you when you take advanced courses in these subject areas in the upcomming year; so you can reap the rewards then :P!

It cost you one year ? I say : ¨you can not save one year¨ ;)

You do an extra year ? I say : ¨you will finish as fast as someone who did not do the IB. ;)

Usually, universities doesn't like to give exemption for the same courses done in lower level.

So it's a good ¨matter¨ ;)

Best thing that ever happened to me was not meeting the requirement upon completion of Cegep and doing a degree. I matured, developed a stgrong work ethic, became an A student and was rewarded with a seat in med. So, yes - detours are good:p (with no cost involved).

Thank you for correcting me.

Which school do you go to? How can this happen? The credits for IB are given in lieu of a course number at the university and there are rules that once you are awarded a credit you cannot register in that course. Even if you wanted to take these courses in university, you must have to decline the credits before registration? Did your school's registration system screw you over?

In any case, you need to go to appropriate admin (registrar?) and need to get it sorted out.

I go to Laurentian University, they didn't me an opportunity to decline the credits, as i said, I just found out about having these transfer credits recently. I didn't know that I couldn't have myself credited twice for a course.

Registrar's closed today, so I'll check up about this tomorrow.

Best thing that ever happened to me was not meeting the requirement upon completion of Cegep and doing a degree. I matured, developed a stgrong work ethic, became an A student and was rewarded with a seat in med.

I know ... I'm reading what you are typing everyday ;)

Best thing that ever happened to me was not meeting the requirement upon completion of Cegep and doing a degree. I matured, developed a stgrong work ethic, became an A student and was rewarded with a seat in med. So, yes - detours are good:p (with no cost involved).

Thank you for correcting me.

If you got into mdicine immediately after cegep, you would now be in clerkship or residency.

If you got into mdicine immediately after cegep, you would now be in clerkship or residency.

A lot people rush ... and they have average grades during their first 2 years of university ... after that it's very hard to come back.

Don't spoil your 2 first years of university.

Take your time to prepare your university ;)

Among all universities that give exemptions for IB credits, some allow you to decline the exemptions and some don't. I'm not sure if Laurentian allows that or not. If it doesn't, I'm surprised that you were allowed to take the exemption equivalences.

In any case, I don't see anything wrong when someone declines his/her IB exemptions and retakes the courses. If you did badly in an IB course in high school and the mark is cast in stone in your university transcript, is it fair? Also, why would people frown upon someone retaking an IB equivalent subject in university and not at someone studying ahead or attending tutoring classes before a course begins? How about people taking enriched programs in high school and benefited from what they already learned when taking the same subject in university and ended up getting a really high mark? Is that wrong too? Don't forget, all studying requires hard work.

This unique problem as you call it, is enitrely your fault by trying to pull a fast one that exploded in your face. This should be a life lesson. It did not work other than receiving a high mark second time around which does not count. Ask the administration, go to the ombudsman and see what, if anything can be accomplished. There are no shortcuts to achieving academic excellence or getting into med school.

That is extremely unfair. I also did IB but (luckily for me) those credits were not recognized by my undergrad and I took the first-year equivalents. Sure I did well in them, but moreover I was better prepared for the second year courses than if I had skipped the first year courses by getting credit for my IB course.

I certainly don't think OP was 'pulling' anything. It is unfortunate that they show as repeats on your transcript. I would suspect that what will happen is that those courses will either be counted at their face value, or not at all. Either way it shouldn't be too bad, as first year courses are generally not weighed that heavily.

Archived