Premed 101 Forums

One Year Masters Program

Almost all clinical related grad degrees are 2 years. Also, keep in mind that 1 year masters are most likely course based, not funded by the university or the external sources. But if you do a 2 year masters in science/clinical research, you will be funded from internal (guaranteed at most schools) and can also apply for external funding...so you can go to grad school without going into further debt or taking out student loans...which in my opinion is a lot better.

Masters of Forestry at UofT is one year - course based, non funded program.

I agree with sunshinesky101.....course based science degrees are rare and usually not helpful in getting you anywhere if med school doesn't work out (IMO).

Almost all clinical related grad degrees are 2 years. Also, keep in mind that 1 year masters are most likely course based, not funded by the university or the external sources. But if you do a 2 year masters in science/clinical research, you will be funded from internal (guaranteed at most schools) and can also apply for external funding...so you can go to grad school without going into further debt or taking out student loans...which in my opinion is a lot better.

When I applied for my MSc, my prof said I could finish it in 1 year. It's a clinical/health based (we're in a hospital) 2 year program, but he's had students finish in a year. I opted not to do that, since I don't want to rush through and I really want to gain and learn from the experience, as well as get some publications.

So, while no true 1 year programs exist, some profs have had students finish in 1 year. My prof gives you a less in depth project, which allows you to finish quickly. Also, with our technique and procedures, it's a possibility, although you have to work about 70+ hours a week for probably 2-3 months to get all your data and have time to analyze and write in that year.

If you're set on a 1 year finish, when you interview, ask the profs if that's a possibility. It's still fairly rare to find profs that have had students do it. Also, remember that just because a prof says you can finish in a year doesn't actually mean you will! Experiments can fail, things can not be what you thought they'd be and it can take longer. Also, with a one year project, the number of publications and conferences will be a lot less, so when applying to schools like UofT that highly emphasis research productivity for grad students, you will not compare well to your 2-year counterparts.

When I applied for my MSc, my prof said I could finish it in 1 year. It's a clinical/health based (we're in a hospital) 2 year program, but he's had students finish in a year. I opted not to do that, since I don't want to rush through and I really want to gain and learn from the experience, as well as get some publications.

So, while no true 1 year programs exist, some profs have had students finish in 1 year. My prof gives you a less in depth project, which allows you to finish quickly. Also, with our technique and procedures, it's a possibility, although you have to work about 70+ hours a week for probably 2-3 months to get all your data and have time to analyze and write in that year.

If you're set on a 1 year finish, when you interview, ask the profs if that's a possibility. It's still fairly rare to find profs that have had students do it. Also, remember that just because a prof says you can finish in a year doesn't actually mean you will! Experiments can fail, things can not be what you thought they'd be and it can take longer. Also, with a one year project, the number of publications and conferences will be a lot less, so when applying to schools like UofT that highly emphasis research productivity for grad students, you will not compare well to your 2-year counterparts.

Lovestruck, which masters program and proff is this? I've been looking into preparing for clinical masters programs myself that could be completed in 1-1.5 years. Can I PM you about that?

My MES in planning degree at Waterloo can be 2 years (according to the books) but if one works hard, they could conceivably finish it in 1.5 years or less. Keep in mind this is a research degree so I finish my courses in two terms (could work on the thesis in the background if I want) and then after that, you are done when the thesis rolls out the door.

There are health planners here, one of whom is conducting research into the health impacts of wind turbines so the work in planning can be tailored towards a medical interest.

I'm taking two years in order to take orgo chem this second year and get in volunteer hours and experiences.

• 3 months later...

If you are willing to do a non-science one then you can do a 1 year Canadian Studies one at Carleton :P seems prettyyyy easy. its not even a full year (Ie 5 classes per semester/10 a year) its 4 classes/8 year.

So you could easily finish 8 courses in a year and the subject matter seems pretty easy :P

U of Guelph has a 1-year coursework program in Human Health and Nutritional Sciences with focuses in Biomechanics, Nutrition and Nutraceutical Sciences, or Nutrition Exercise and Metabolism. Or, also at Guelph, dept of Biomedical Sciences also has a 1-year coursework program.

• 3 weeks later...

if you are going for med, becare with 1 year mscs

many many schools do not count them as a masters (but as extra courses)

in the US there is also SMP (special masters programs)- these are 1 year and you gain admission based on these marks to a variety of professional schools

if you are going for med, becare with 1 year mscs

many many schools do not count them as a masters (but as extra courses)

I highly doubt the latter claim. There are several course-based programs in Canada and they are definitely counted as Master's programs. How a member of the adcom looks at it is subjective, but I doubt any schools would openly discriminate against 1 year programs.

Archived