Premed 101 Forums

Rads/ Nuc Med

Hi everyone, a few questions if you would be so kind.

1. Can anyone give me some idea as to the level of competition in Eastern Canada (Memorial, Dal) for Rads spots, or the joint program at Dal?

2. Across the country, do programs tend to give preference to their own med school graduates?

3. When applying for electives across the country, would a two week NM stint provide face time with key rads staff (who presumably also sit on committees for joint programs).

4. Is it possible to do summer research projects in the labs of either of these disciplines in order to become known to a particular department, especially those where research is listed as an important aspect of a residency?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any insight on these points.

1) Competition tends to be nationwide (aside from the francophone schools which not everyone can apply to), and will depend on the total number of applicants in the pool each year. Aside from those who have definite geographical limitations, most applicants will initially apply across the country for radiology.

2) Programs prefer candidates that they know and like. It is usually easier to become well known at your home school. However, if you are not well liked, this will not work in your favour.

3) Depends how the elective is set up and who you will be working with. In some places, the nuclear medicine and radiology programs are rather separate. In others (presumably those with joint programs), the nuclear medicine physicians tend to be dual certified in radiology, with nucs being integrated within the radiology department and treated like another subspecialty. Having a nucs elective should be an advantage if you are applying to a joint program, as it allows you to demonstrate your knowledge of and interest in nucs.

4) Yes, doing a project is a good idea. The term 'lab' is more suggestive of physicists and engineers doing imaging research, and that is a possibility if you are so inclined. However, you can become just as well known in the department doing a clinical research project, working on creating educational materials, or writing up a case report. Just ask around and find out which up-and-coming faculty members would welcome the assistance of a keen medical student.

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

Thanks for the information, especially about the varitey of research experience that would be applicable. As it happens, I have a couple more question. I hear that these joint programs are fairly competitive, yet the CARMS stats list NM as being the first choice for only 2 individuals last year (going back 5 or 6 years, it was never higher than 9 and this appeard to be an anomaly). The page lists 9 NM spots, I assume joint programs fall under this umbrella?

Thanks for any help!

According to the CaRMS program directory, the dual certification programs do fall under Nuclear Medicine. I do believe these positions are competitive, as there will be a number of other radiology applicants who also interview for these positions and rank them, even if not as their #1 choice.

The relatively low number of people ranking these positions as first choice may reflect a general reluctance to commit to 6-7 years and two Royal College examinations upfront, as one may become interested in pursuing another subspecialty of radiology during residency. Also, I have been told that one can likely find a nuclear medicine training opportunity after doing radiology if they so desire.

Archived