Premed 101 Forums

Anti-D immunoglobulins

Hi everybody !

If a mother is Rh negative and the fetus is Rh positive in the first pregnancy , do we give anti-D IgG also at 28 & 34 weeks in the first pregnancy or only for the next pregnancy ?!

And do we have to repeat these 28 & 34 weeks + first 72 hours postpartum anti-D IgG injections in the next pregnancies if mother is Rh negative and fetus is Rh positive or it's only given in the first pregnancy ?!

Thank you :) !

Rhogam is given to all Rh negative women at 28 weeks GA and then within 72 hours of the birth if the baby is Rh+. You also give it if there is ever a risk of maternal-fetal transfusion or if you had a positive Kleihauer-Betke (sp?) test.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you will not normally know the Rh status of the baby until after delivery. The point is to do it on the first and every pregnancy to prevent isoimmunization and hydrops in future pregnancies.

PS - is rhogam given at 34 weeks? I thought it was only given once at 28 weeks but I could be wrong.

Rhogam is given to all Rh negative women at 28 weeks GA and then within 72 hours of the birth if the baby is Rh+. You also give it if there is ever a risk of maternal-fetal transfusion or if you had a positive Kleihauer-Betke (sp?) test.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you will not normally know the Rh status of the baby until after delivery. The point is to do it on the first and every pregnancy to prevent isoimmunization and hydrops in future pregnancies.

PS - is rhogam given at 34 weeks? I thought it was only given once at 28 weeks but I could be wrong.

Exactly, you don't know the baby's status until he's born.

Rhogam is given to negative mother with positive father (or unknown) for a first pregnancy.

It's also given when there is possibility of mixing maternal and fetal blood, mainly abortion (wanted or spontaneous), amniocentesis or ectopic pregnancy.

yes , ur right. It is usually taken at 28 weeks but sometimes , it is also taken as a booster at 34 weeks ( I am not sure if this is only in specific cases or just in specific countries ).

Archived