Premed 101 Forums

Clinical Skills

ubc has a specific component to their first year course that is family practice.

in first semester you get 4 visits at a preceptors office, then in second semester you go 12 times (i think)... anyways we've got people heading off next week for their first family practice visits.

it seems pretty standard in canada to have early contact with patients in a clinical/family practice setting

ubc has a specific component to their first year course that is family practice.

in first semester you get 4 visits at a preceptors office, then in second semester you go 12 times (i think)... anyways we've got people heading off next week for their first family practice visits.

it seems pretty standard in canada to have early contact with patients in a clinical/family practice setting

We also have volunteer and standardized patients for our clinical skills class.

OP, I wouldn't sweat it. Frankly, you have insufficient medical knowledge or clinical skills that patient contact useful to you this early in your training, and you can't really appreciate pathological findings until you know what normal findings are.

Agree. While it was very nice of cardiologists and their patients with murmurs to spend an afternoon with us when we were in first year, my ears weren't attuned enough at that point to effectively filter out all the scratchy sounds of chest hair :P

At UWO most of the patients in the first two years are standardized. The benefit of seeing patients as a first year medical student is outweighed by the novelty/coolness factor.

OP, I wouldn't sweat it. Frankly, you have insufficient medical knowledge or clinical skills that patient contact useful to you this early in your training, and you can't really appreciate pathological findings until you know what normal findings are.

That said, it's exceedingly easy to line up an observership with a doctor if you want to see some patients.

At UL we have clinical skills classes every semester from 1st yr to 3rd yr pre-clearkship. These clinical classes are related to the systems of the body we learn about in our general courses (eg. we learn heart-lungs physical exam and anamnesis in our clinical classes while we're studying cardiology and pneumology). We also get to spend a night at the emergency department and there's a full-week intership at the end of the first year for eveyrone. I remember having to perform abdominal exam on a real patient with a real cirrhosis and its classic stigmata during first year OSCE. Talk about student-patient contact :P

In the end i guess clinical exposure is pretty much the same for every med student in Canada but it comes in at different times and in different settings for each school.

There is very, very little educational value but seems to be a selling point. The real value is to get you to feel like you're playing doctor, and maybe to call your mom and tell her that you saw a real patient.

Partially true IMO. Early clinical contact can be of educational value for students who didn't have the opportunity to spend time at the hospital or who are not so familiar with health-care system. Also we get to discover the fields of practice of physicians and other health care workers which i think is a plus value

Well communication is an integral part of being a physician and you can start working on that right away with minimal medical knowledge.

You can also start by doing role plays with other students.. for those starting out, this is likely more flexible than recruiting actual patients, until such point as you are fluent enough to see them on your own.

i thought our first clinical skills sessions were good for learning to take social histories and the more psychosocial aspects of a patients life, but yeah, for the first 3-4 months it's not like you really have any foundation to make it clinically useful, but i think interview skills in and of themselves are useful

Yeah they are called observorships and they serve a different purpose than what's being discussed here. We were talking more about using patients as a teaching point for medical students early in their career.

we did this, and we had a third person in the group evaluate body language etc. it was a good little session

You can also start by doing role plays with other students.. for those starting out, this is likely more flexible than recruiting actual patients, until such point as you are fluent enough to see them on your own.

Memorial uses standardized patients during the first few months. Makes it a bit more serious than role playing with your peers.

We also have standardized patients. Every semester (4 times) in our preclerkship, we have a day that we spend with standardized patients + 4 exams on standardized patients (2 small OSCEs 2 big OSCEs), + ''playing with our peers'' every week and some real patient experience (about once a semester, a whole week at the end of 1st year and 3 weeks at the end of 2nd year).

I'm biased but I think that this system is great

Archived